13| I Take My Siblings To The Zoo

This chapter is dedicated to...!!! friskriel thanks for the dedication and for reading.

Have I ever said my life was peaceful? Well if I did then I was lying. So when I woke up at six in the morning on a Saturday to silence and the smell of pancakes something was wrong. Definitely wrong.

I climbed out my window (thank goodness we had climbing training at school) and down to the porch. I picked up a piece of rusty metal from the pile of rusty metals and moved towards the door.

I glanced back and forth then moved in. Then I heard the sound. The sound of my small sister's scream!

"Zooli! " I called running into the kitchen, swinging the metal wildly.

Yeah I probably looked stupid, and if I were shades lighter I would've been as red as my hair. Flora and Zooli were sitting at the kitchen bench looking like best friends who were exchanging gossip. Matt was watching TV with Blaze. Connor and Frost were having a silent conversation over pancakes and Emi and Nile were in the kitchen cooking bacon and pancakes.

I wasn't sure if this was normal or wrong.

"Morning Rayne," Frost greeted cheerfully then stuffed his face with more pancake.

I put the rusty piece of metal on the shelf and nodded like I didn't just try to kill someone. "What are... Uh, what's the occasion? "

"The zoo remember..." Matt replied, focused more on the TV then me.

"Right, right. BRB." I crawled back up stairs to do, you know, hygiene stuff.

When I came down everything was normal again. Frost was attempting to freeze Blaze. Emi and Matt were trying to pull the two apart. Zooli who was now half cat, ran over the counter and shelves knocking over everything in her path. Connor and Flora were trying to pick those things up while Nile tried to pry her off the counter. Yep normal.

After a minute of watching the stupidity, I sighed and fixed myself a sandwich. They eventually stopped and joined me at the table for some bacon and pancakes.

"Ray! " Zooli exclaimed, kneeling on her chair. "Can I come with you to the zoo?"

I scolwed at my sandwich. "Zooli, we're not going there to see the animals."

"Please!! " She begged, "I promise I'll be good."

"I wanna come too! " Frost chimed in.

"No I said—" I sighed, then an idea came to mind. "Well I don't have enough money for snacks and all that but Nile might have." I grinned at Nile. Immediately Frost and Zooli pounced on him. Hugging him from the neck and hip.

Nile stared at me wide-eyed and mouthed, "what did you do? "

I shrugged. "My team and I are going purely for investigation, right? " I looked at Connor, prompting him for a reply.

He smiled tightly and rubbed the corner of his eye, like he does when he gets nervous.

"Yes! But there's nothing wrong with the little ones joining." Matt grinned. I slapped my forehead and my sandwich became limp.

My younger siblings cheered. I grunted. "Go wash your butts and faces, if you're going to come with me! "

I don't know how we looked. A bunch of teenagers, two little monster children, one broody preteen, and one slightly older than 20 guy.

"Okay you guys go that way. We'll go this way, don't find me, and I won't find you," I explained, pointing towards the bird cages.

"But Rayne! " Zooli protested, "I wanna come with you! "

"No, go with Nile, " I groaned. She attached herself to my legs with monkey arms.

My friends laughed beside me. I blushed and waved awkwardly at everyone who passed. Nile and his brothers were at least far enough for people to think that we weren't related.

"We can go around for a little while," Flora suggested. I winced and shook my head at her.

"Yay! I'm going with Rayne! " Zooli yelped. I groaned and held her hand.

That's basically how our day went. The animals went crazy whenever I came near. The monkeys thought Connor was one of them and tried to pull him away. A female lion tried to eat Matt, when he threw a peanut into her cage. I convinced her not to. Some moles got angry at Emi for messing with their tunnels. The animals loved Flora. Zooli screamed at every animal she saw and tried to transform into them. I made Nile give Zooli a piggyback ride when her feet got tired. Blaze and Frost visited the polar bears and the next I heard were screams. I acted like I weren't related to them, real smooth. All in all, we made a lot of people angry. Before we knew it, half the day was gone.

"We're gonna go visit the zoo admin, you guys should get going? " I told my siblings.

"I wanna go to the admin! " Zooli announced, standing on the zoo benches, her face covered in ice-cream.

"You had too much sugar child, get down, " I grumbled.

"Nah, I'm done. Who's coming home with me and who's staying? " Nile said.

Blaze, Frost and Matt lifted their hands. Emi smacked Matt's arm and he dropped his.

Being a big sister is hard. "Go."

My brothers left and we took Zooli with us to the admin. As we walked to the admin block, Connor walked beside me.

"Hey." He gave me a grin. My heart skipped a beat. Curses to my involuntary muscles.

I smiled and nodded, because I didn't know what to say.

He walked so close, he towered over me. I looked up at his green eyes, curiously. He smelled sweet like strawberry ice cream.

Connor cleared his throat and looked away. "The other other day, uh sorry if I—it was late."

I stopped and bumped his arm. "It's fine, I enjoyed talking to you."

His face lit up and I couldn't help but smile along. "Yeah? "

"You're not bad, Connor Wild."

The admin block was, connected to a much larger building that had the words, research lab painted on in cursive letters. Why the words were so colourful and vibrant I wouldn't know.

The lady at the admin didn't look like she liked her job. She had that "I hate everyone" face on. Her shirt was wrinkled and her hair was a mess. And her attitude was quite the opposite to the friendly sign on the building.

"Hey we're here to see the zoo director," Emi said to her.

She popped her gum and rolled her eyes. "Do you have an appointment? "

"Why would we need an appointment to see a zoo director? "

She sneered. "How should I know why rich people do what they do?"

"We saw the tiger! " Connor inserted.

The lady looked over again. "Report it to the police or fire department."

"The tiger said the zoo let her go, " I tried.

This time she looked at all of us head-on, with narrowed eyes. "Oh, yeah she said that... ?"

"Yes, now you better let us see the director or I'm—" I didn't know what I was going to do, I was nervous as heck, "—I'm going to go public about this. "

The lady took out her gum and stuck it under her desk. I assumed that was her I've had enough move. Gross. "Listen here, you brats—"

"Rayne? "

I turned behind me to see Kyle, my boss's boyfriend.

(A/n: suspicious are we? Muhahahah!!!)