9| We Capture The Tiger...Sort Of

"Yeah three of your meatiest burgers, five cokes and eh—Rayne wake up."

I jerked awake and looked back and forth at the scene before me. I was in Emi's truck. She was staring at me expectantly. "What do you want, it's on Breezy. "

Matt groaned. "It's Matt, Matthew, Matteo, Matthaeus! "

I looked up at the neon burger sign then back at her. "Vegetables... " I mused.

Emi scowled at me and turned back to the lady at the drive through. "Two of anything vegetable for the animal buddies. "

I looked up to see hair. And Connor's face. I cleared my throat and moved away as if I weren't asleep on his shoulder for who knows how long.

"Sorry, " I muttered.

I glanced at him to see him smirk. "No problem. "

"What about the tiger? "

"Food first, " Emi said. I guess that's how we stopped outside a gas station and had burgers at 1 in the morning.

When we were done Emi started up the truck and drove through the early morning traffic like she was a race car driver.

"Does she always drive this fast?! " Matt screamed, sounding terrified.

I forced my seat belt on and sighed when I got it latched. "Sadly yes."

Emi slowed when we passed a police car, deflating into her seat. She grumbled but slowed.

"Are you guys sure about this lead? "

"Oh totally, " Connor assured, "My uncle called, said his sister's daughters, niece's cousin spotted it sleeping in Oaik swamps, injured."

I blew out my cheeks and looked at, Flora. "Flora...?"

"Hey Uncle Jim has the sixth sense he sees what we don't, " Connor grumbled.

"Eh? "

"He's right Uncle Jim sees the world differently then us. He's gifted, " Flora said. I couldn't object to her, so I nodded along and wondered what uncle Jim could see that we couldn't.

~~

Emi came to an unsteady stop beside a mangrove. We hopped out and stared at the swampy scenery.

"So, " Matt prompted, glancing at me.

There was a static buzz in my ear. I stepped through the murky ground to the swamp. "I sense crocodiles. "

"What did the crocs say? " Matt asked.

"You wanna ask the crocodiles what they said, " I grunted.

He shook his head and grabbed my shoulder, peering down into the swamp. "Good point."

I filed through every voice till I heard a voice that I was sure was crocodilian. And it wasn't a friendly greeting.

"Get off my swamp, " It said.

"I'm sorry Mr crocodile, " I replied. "But we're looking for a Tiger have you seen her around? "

"I don't particularly enjoy the company of land beasts, " It said. "Even so, why should I trust you, human? "

"I won't hurt you, " I said aloud, staring back at my friends. They nodded and came forward.

"Won't you, now? " From the swamp, something huge and long surfaced.

Matt grabbed Emi's arm and yelped. "Get off me, you bug!" Emi chided.

The reptile waded it's way to ground and it's terrifying form was illuminated by the moon light. The animal was as long as a bus. Its body was as wide as Emi's truck and one of it's huge yellow eyes was missing. "This is what humans did to me"