11| The Snake Made Us Late

Emi was going slower than usual. Which meant she was under the speed limit. For once I would've appreciated her death triggering speed because we were going to be late. So late that I squirmed every five minutes. "Dumb speed limit, dumb Mr Pow, dumb scientists, dumb swamp people—"

"What was that, Ray? " Matt asked nonchalantly. Oh and by the way, Emi picked up Matt and Connor who were standing on the side of the road like homeless people, and Flora who actually lived in the neighbourhood. We gathered some loose change and got some fuel along the way.

"Oh no I was just thinking about flying carrots and oh I don't know, being late," I grumbled.

Emi laughed like she had all the time in the world. "If only we could get off, saving the town or something." Right after she said that the truck stopped abruptly with a puffing sound.

We hopped off and Emi opened up the bonnet only to be hit in the face with steam. She cursed and bent over to check out her truck. Emi loved her old truck. It was a gift from her grandpa. Really cool guy, he was, don't get me wrong he's perfectly fine and alive. Emi and him were really close, I could even say a lot closer than she was to her own parents.

As we stood out on the side of the street a lamborghini sped to a stop beside us, which was odd. A bunch of buff looking man, with tattoos and shades filled the sleek black car. Hip hop boomed from their speakers as they sat, smoking or joking. They honked and waved at us.

"Hey Miko, " The driver called, "Need some help! " He was a lot smaller than the rest, in age that is. He looked our age, sixteen or seventeen. He had curly dark hair, a tanned complexion and a crooked grin.

I had never seen Emi as scared as she was at that moment since that one time we broke her mom's favourite earrings. And her mom is scary, let me tell you. Emi smiled nervously and managed to say, "we're all good here! "

The hip hop died out and the driver stepped out. He had that, young billionaire aura about him, in his suit and fancy shoes. He threw aside his cigarette and slipped off his shades to reveal his blood red pupils that had dark rims that seemed to radiate fear.

"What's wrong crystal, you not trust us or something." He smirked, stepping forward. I tensed and so did the rest of my friends.

"Nah we good. " Emi visibly gulped. "I just...I'm done with all that"

"All what? " He prompted, his daunting eyes watching my best friend carefully.

"No, I... We're gonna be late for school."

"Well your ride there ain't looking good. Hop on, I'll drop you off."

Emi half smiled and nodded to his friends. "You're a little packed already."

"Oh those boys, no. " He turned and gave his friends a look that made them leave the Lamborghini as fast as possible. I didn't want to be late but no way was I going to get on that cigar pit, no way in—

"Come on guys, he's a friend, " Emi said, although that friend came out more like fiend. Something was up but I had to shut up and listen. Matt and Connor looked at me, as if asking if we should take this guy on. I looked at Flora and she shook her head. That was a no for us and thank goodness, because something about the way he made men twice his size run like the bogeyman was gonna get them didn't sit well with me.

Emi sat in the front with her devil eyed friend while us four sat in the passenger seat, that somehow fit us perfectly. The smell of iron and smoke laced the car air, filling my lungs. I coughed but tried to hold it in as much as possible.

"Sorry sweetheart, haven't got the car cleaned since the last deal," Emi's friend said, grinning wickedly from the rear view mirror. He smirked then turned to Emi. "Speaking of deals, some scientists wants us to catch him some animal specimen, and he's willing to pay a hefty price. You in? "