4| I'm No Hero

I had a weird dream again. Aren't dreams about being stabbed, just amazing? Notice my sarcasm. I couldn't tell what kind of animal I was. But I do remember jazz music. It was dark and I was probably in a cage because I tried clawing at the metal bars in front of me with paws. Ok, mammal. A click-clacking sound echoed somewhere near, though I suspected it was farther when it it's source took longer to arrive. I bit something cold and hard which had the distinct taste of iron, a metal chain maybe. The sound grew louder until I saw a human figure before me. He stared down at me, studying me perhaps, walked away, then someone new came up to me and unlocked my door. My realeaser took me out by the chain. I resisted, my body tensing as I growled. But he was strong, he tugged my taut body along until we reached a white door. He opened it up to what looked like a hospital room, shoved me in, and lifted me to the gurney. He stood there with me for a while, mumbling words that I couldn't comprehend. The door then opened and the first man entered, he wore a mask which hid his face well. He gloved, came forward, and picked up a huge syringe. I snarled but to no avail, the second man's huge mitts claped my throat and pressed me against the gurney. The last thing I remember was pain, like poison being introduced into my veins. It burned and I became savage till I fell out of the dream and off the couch.

The TV blurred loudly and stung my sleepy eyes when I took in its blinding lights. Something-something about heroes, I shut the tv off and groggily climbed the stairs to my room.

"Woah! Do it again? " Emi laughed and slapped Flora's shoulder.

"You will be surprised because I will tell you that Mr. Pow will enter in two seconds, " Flora said and like she said two seconds later Mr. Pow pushed the cafeteria door open, looking like a wild animal searching for his prey (sue me).

Emi's jaw dropped. Mine's too. Super powers were pretty normal with almost three quarters of the world having one but still, some were beyond cool.

"Can you tell me what will happen to me in ten years time? " Emi asked, feverish.

Flora shook her head. "There are too many paths you could take, I couldn't. There are some paths that shine brighter than others, but they aren't definite."

Emi pouted, beginning to speak when a shadow fell across our table diverting our attention.

Mr. Pow was standing there, in front of us. He was a pretty short guy which befuddled me how his shadow was 2 feet taller, and it befuddled me even more because why would he, our coach and HERO trainer be here at me and my friend's table or even in the cafeteria at all?

"Are you Rayne Winters? " The teacher asked.

"Yeah, " I replied, tentatively.

He next words made me want to puke. "Do you wanna be a hero?"

I smiled coyly. "Hey Mr. Pow, did Connor put you up to this?"

"Little girl, I don't take orders from my students, " he grunted, holding his nose high, sounding not-so-certain. 

"I don't want to, thank you though." I shrugged and turned away.

"No gym for you."

That perked my interest, but I was stubborn.

Mr. Pow tried a smile. "Just at least visit the HERO building, after school?"

"Alright. But tell me, why would you do this? "

"Wild asked me to." He sighed and walked off.

"Ehhh?" Started Emi.

I explained everything to the two, how Connor showed up in my backyard and asked me to help him. How I blatantly said no. Although Flora didn't seem as surprised as Emi.