5| I Invite Connor To Dinner

My mom always told me this story while I was growing up, when I was three I had gone missing. Mom and dad looked everywhere for me, even called the cops and some heros. Dad had took me to a barbecue with his friends and had left me with Nile who was seven. He promised he was gone for less than a minute, when he came back I was gone and Nile was staring up at the sky. Mom asked all the animals she could, but they had no idea, till she came across a momma eagle. The eagle told her that she had picked up a little human who was actually her long lost daughter. Mom and dad followed after the eagle and found me in her nest with other eagle babies. I was sleeping peacefully, who knows what I ate. After some convincing, the eagle mom let me go, but mom said I cried because I thought that the eagle was my mom.

It didn't take me long to relize that, well it's complicated but I guess, animals and I were one in mind and soul to put it simply. They're my other half and I'm theirs.

"What are you doing girl! Get away while you can," I heard the Feral beseech from behind me.

I locked gazes with the beast. He gnarled and for a moment I thought he was gone for good.

"I'll help you, I promise. My name is Rayne. What's yours?"

"No...name," It said. "But I trust Rayne."

My lips stretched into a smile. I had to stay positive if I wanted to save the hero's butt. "I trust you too. "

I wasn't scared when I put my hand out to his face and fondled his deep grey fur. He nuzzled into my hand and stayed like that for a moment till he fell unconscious.

"Rest well."

I could hear the sirens and cheers in the background but my head still felt fuzzy. I dropped onto the grass, trying to catch my breath, as I watched them haul the injured away into ambulances.

As reluctant and tired as I was I let them take the wolf, only after they convinced me that they'd help calm him and promised me to keep me updated on his condition.

The last thing I remember is Connor's voice and Emi shaking me roughly.

I woke to the sound of screaming. Knowing who was screaming I smiled. I headed downstairs to see my siblings infront of the tv, Blaze and Nile had pillows stuffed up their shirts, sumo wrestling, while Frost and Zooli were watching baby pandas being bottle fed on Animal Planet.

They turned over to me, their eyes wide. I grinned and they jumped me immediately. It was difficult hugging all of them at once, especially when Blaze and Nile still had pillows on them.

We almost never hug. The last time we hugged as a family was 4 years ago when mom passed. And I loved those hugs, no matter how sweaty or smelly we all were.

We broke free when the familiar sound of dad's truck grew louder till it was parked in our driveway. We barreled out the door like monkey's after a bunch of bananas. Dad smiled and stepped out. We froze in our steps when we saw his left hand carried in a sling. It had been almost two days since we'd seen him and there he was with an injury.

"Ah what are y'all doing, aren't you gonna hug your Pa! " Dad exclaimed, stretching out his free arm.

We practically pounced on him. After he tapped us all out we let him go.

"What happened daddy? " Zooli asked, staring intently at Dad's injured arm, tears brimming at her eyes.

"I'll tell you at dinner, " Dad said hurrying us inside.

When we finally sat around for dinner he told us. "You all know that daddy's job is dangerous." He looked at Zooli and Frost. "Sometimes there are times when we get hurt, and sometimes we loose our friends. Daddy was called to help a family, like ours, when I got hurt."