19| When In Doubt Shoot The Boot

Did I regret breaking into the zoo? I don't know. Maybe my brain was still muddled. But I came here with my friends and now they were in trouble. I expected alarms to go off or something big to happen. Instead the lights went out. Down the street and in the zoo. Flora flinched beside me. The only light left came from the street light right next to us, a few meters away.

"Rayne... " Flora whispered. I looked over at her, to see her shivering.

"You okay? "

"Th-is is bad, this is really really bad. " She chanted, "this wasn't supposed to happen-no I didn't notice it. "

Seeing Flora freak out made me freak out which was bad for the animals. I fumbled for something I could use to swing or throw. Nothing except for Mr Pow's booth that I had thrown on Emi's truck the day I got it.

From the shadows I saw a figure move. It was large and silent but it's presence was so evident you couldn't miss it. And the weirdest thing that came from the shadows were horse noises.

Okay, I thought, maybe a zebra went loose. No biggie I'd just tell it to to go back.

"I got this, get in the truck, " I told Flora. She looked at me like I was crazy. "Go! "

"5 minutes! " She called.

I gripped the smelly shoe in my shaking hands.

I cleared my throat. "Um little zebra friend-"

My knees went weak and a shiver ran down my spine. The creature stepped out of the dark, and I could see it's full form. A mighty steed, dark as night, twice as tall as me.

Your first instinct should be—RUN!! don't follow my instincts and ask the shadow horse how it's night was going.

It didn't react. Which was probably a red flag. I backed up. The light behind me flickered off. Definitely a red flag. Total darkness, except for the glitter of stars and the glimmer of the setting crescent moon.

My eyes took it's time to adjust. The horse noises got louder, angrier.

"Oh man, I'm going to get trampled to death by a shadow horse aren't I?" I muttered to no one in particular.

The thundering sound of the horses clopping got me to a sprint. It was so close, that I could feel it's breath on my neck. It's evil aura moved to stop me head on. I stopped running and my feet slipped, I fell on my butt and the horse rared it's front feet.

Just before his feet came down on me I saw the light. In the midst of me dying I had the time to question if you're supposed to see the light after the pain.

"Get on!! " Flora yelled.

I opened my eyes, which I didn't realize I had closed. There was Flora in the truck waving at me wildly. I scrambled to my feet, not forgetting about my teacher's shoe and ran for truck. I climbed on and slammed the door shut.

The horse was no where in sight. Which made more sense than I'd like. Of course, it was no where in sight because it was a shadow and it was dark all around!

"What do we do?" I whispered.

Flora gripped the steering wheel. "I can't see, it's dark. "

"Like your power's aren't working? "

"Like it's dark, it's going to get dark very soon. "

"Damn it! "

"What? "

"Emi's head light's don't last very long..."

We needed light. I fumbled for my phone, only to find out that it was dead.