8| I Meet My Boss's Boyfriend

I shuddered thinking back to yesterday. Animal's insides were the scariest thing I'd seen first hand till that, and that's saying something because seeing frogs dissected and hit and run animal victims left me sick for weeks straight. It was horrific. I hadn't even slept the night before, and thank goodness for that because I didn't want to risk the chance of dreaming of being turned into them.

Mom always told me lives were precious and to be protected no matter how big or small. Human babies, fused with animal babies. Elephant head, human body, giraffe and lizard limbs. Human head, hyena body, cat limbs. Dog head, cat body, human limbs etc... These were babies. Innocent babies, who hadn't even gotten the chance to live their lives to the fullest. All in the name of science. And that wasn't even the scariest part. I felt the tension between their DNA, it was scary, because they were resisting but something held them like glue. Their memories were hazy and strange, their thoughts were static and although some of them couldn't feel pain I felt a sort of buzz as if something had gone wrong during development. It was wrong and no one could convince me otherwise.

I wasn't sure if them being alive was a good thing or bad thing. How would they grow up? Sure there were hybrid humans but they were born naturally, their bodies didn't have to adjust to anything, like having two limbs a different animal, or the mind of a tiger and a stomach of a human. Who knows what diseases they'd face? Who knows what society would make of them? Who knows the struggles they'd face? But it still wasn't right to take their lives. I had no right, we had no right to take their lives.

After that it was a blur, I don't remember much, I remember Jerry rushing through the doors, I remember heros guiding us out, I remember crying into dad's arms and going home feeling like shit.

Whoever was doing this had been around for a long while.

"Rayne! "

I blinked out of my trance and looked up to see Jamie. Jamie was my work mate. He transfered into Lightsville high two years ago and has been a pain in the ass since.

"What's wrong? " I mumbled, looking ahead at nothing in particular.

"You've been sitting like that for an hour," He said, his purple eyes darkening in concern.

I cleared my throat, realizing how dry it was. "Sitting how? "

"Like you just saw a ghost, like you were about to die, like an alien told you, you were the chosen one and then shot you with a freeze—"

"Jamie, I told you. There's no such thing as aliens, " I groaned, and a migraine came over me.

"Not true, there have been sightings all over the world, Mars's exploration was just the first step, we're—I mean yeah what's going on with you? "

"You wouldn't wanna know." I let out a dry empty laugh. I felt my breakfast splurge up my throat. I swallowed it in one nasty gulp.

He raised an eyebrow and then looked up at something, furrowed his brows then back at me.

"When did Boss start dating again? "

I was thankful for the change of topic, something to get my mind off of yesterday. I hopped to my feet and peered out the window to see my boss hugging another man.

"You think they're gonna last? " I said, smirking at Jamie.

He snickered and threw an arm over my shoulder. "Five months, tops. "

"Oh don't be so generous, two. "

He squinted at me then nodded. "Three."

We shook hands. "Fifty bucks, " He said and I nodded. The door opened and how Jamie got across to other side of the room, holding onto a broom, I don't know.

Boss came in holding hands with a guy who looked about, well I was surprised then because he looked his age. The guy laughed and kissed my boss's cheek. Jamie and I locked eyes and he mouthed the words, "three."

I smiled tightly at him and gave him a thumbs down.

"Rayne, Jamie this is Kyle, " Boss said, smiling cheerfully at me then at Jamie. Kyle had a warm smile. But his oddly familiar hazel eyes bothered me a bit. He had olive skin and dark tousled hair, a little taller than Boss but I knew Boss didn't mind. Kyle was handsome, my Boss had good tastes.

"Hi." I waved.

He nodded and shifted his head as if trying to recall me from somewhere. "Have we met? "

"Oh don't be silly honey, " Boss said, slapping his chest. "Rayne here doesn't travel much. She could never have met you back in town. "

"Oh how did you two meet? " I perked up.

They laughed and looked at each other gingerly. "Online, " They said together.

I was an idiot, I went, "oh, " And looked at Jamie who was suddenly interested in the piece of gum stuck on the window.

"But he's moving back into town, so we won't be too far anymore, " Boss added quickly.

Jamie spun on his heels to me a sly grin plastered on his dumb face, pointing his finger like guns.

"Jamie, " Boss said and turned to my idiot work mate. Jamie straightened up so fast I stifled a laugh and smiled at Kyle who still had that, "I've seen you somewhere" look.

"Your mom called, she said to eat your vegetables, " Boss said.

Jamie nodded and saluted, which left boss staring at him suspiciously. Usually when Jamie's mom called he would turn red from embarrassment, but this time he was caught red handed doing something stupid.

Boss took Kyle and went to his office and we were able to breathe properly again.

"That dudes too hot, you know how boss can be. He gets too insecure and leaves all the cute guys, like the last one, " Jamie reasoned. "Three months. "

"The last one had three missing teeth, " I grumbled.

"Oh Rayne. " Boss peeked through his office door, we froze in our spots and looked at him innocently. "I met your older brother at the supermarket, he asked you to call him if you were still feeling ill so he would make you some hot soup"

"Thanks boss. " I felt my cheeks heat up and Jamie's grin beside me.

➷➷

I hugged my jacket close, and stared down at the street before me. Don't know what I was doing, trying not to fall asleep maybe. I was sitting in my dad's broken bamboo chair so falling asleep would be quite difficult.

Frost would love this cold air, but he was fast asleep. And so was half of the neighborhood. 12 pm was still too early for sleep, and that had been my life motto since yesterday.

A dark shadow sped to a stop on the road. I blinked and realized it was Emi's truck.

"Heh, " I muttered, rubbing my droopy eyes.

"Rayne you coming or not! " She yelled, "we got a lead, the tiger was spotted in Oiak's Swamp! " I blinked and the people waving at me became more clear. Matt sat up front with Emi and Flora and Connor sat in the passenger seat.

For a second then, I thought I was dreaming. But then I figured I wasn't because I stood on two legs and walked down the porch steps.

"What have you people been up to?" I mumbled, climbing onto the truck.

"We've been all over town! Well Connor here was everywhere and then the police was like... "

"Hmmm..." My head dropped onto someone's shoulder and I fell into a dreamless sleep.

(A/n: i seriously need to find something to do with my life)