27| We Don't Refuse Food In This Team

"don't tell her," I blurted. "let her tell you first."

Why? Why? Why, did I say that?

He seemed startled. "what if she doesn't like me back?"

"hah." I panicked, I had taken this route now I had to finish it. "what girl wouldn't like you?"

"well probably her. She sees me as just a friend."

"ouch friend-zoned," I laughed. Why was I relieved to hear that? More imaginary self-slaps.

"well not exactly. I'm just not sure of how she feels."

"this is quite complicated." I was disappointed. "who is this girl anyway?"

He turned pink. The guy turned pink at the mention of her, why was I irked? "I can't tell you, you might tell her."

"oh, I know her?" That sucked.

"yeah, I can't risk it. You just told me not to tell her."

"but you can trust me." I was desperate to know.

His expression turned worried. "I do, I do, I trust you a lot. I even trust you with my life for crying out loud but I can't. I'll tell her when I'm ready."

"alright, alright, I get it. You really like this girl, don't you?" ugh, I felt sick.

He smiled like a little boy in love. "yeah, I do."

"you two are early!" came Emi's voice. She had just turned the corner and was now walking towards us.

After her came Matt, then Aldo. The latter was dressed in shorts and sandals, a cartoon themed t-shirt and of course shades. He looked like one would call, preteen. Or his younger brother. Emi was the first to laugh, which meant it was safe for all of us to laugh. He was red-faced and angry; dude would have killed us if he didn't need us.

"why do you look like Ray's younger brother. I'm referring to Frost, just to be clear," Emi teased.

He glared and huffed. "I don't have any clothes alright. Where the hell are we going anyway?!"

Emi began to walk away. "what are you guys waiting for? Chop-chop dumb babies."

We walked the neighborhood, listening to Matt's jokes, Emi making fun of Aldo, and Connor and myself not saying much. Soon we came to a small house filled to the brim with plants. I see where Flora got her name. Flora opened the door as soon as we sat foot on the porch. She looked different because she was dressed in shorts rather than long trousers, and an ordinary t-shirt rather than a hoodie.

"Hey girly, how's it going?" Emi greeted. Us girls hugged, while the boys shook hands with her, even Aldo, though he seemed a bit reluctant.

"come in, please," Flora said, opening her door.

We entered and were immediately punched in the nostrils by the mouth-watering smell of food.

"gran's in the kitchen, she'll be over soon. Uh, make yourselves at home," Flora instructed, motioning to the couch and to a large TV of an ancient model.

"you wouldn't mind if I moved in with you, right?" Matt asked Flora.

She cringed and shook her head. "you wouldn't want that."

"are you just saying that because you wouldn't want me around or because you see that in my future?"

"both," Flora said. "but mostly because you wouldn't like it."

Matt nodded in agreement. "thanks for the honesty, I appreciate it."

"you are most welcome."

"Welcome Children!" boomed a small woman with grey hair. She strode out of what I presumed to be the kitchen and towards us arms open wide and receiving. We stood and she hugged each and every one of us, yes, even Aldo. (yes I will keep mentioning him, because his presence is still strange.)