7| We Visit A Ghost Building

"Your going to make a fine hero" Connor's friend said, extending a hand to me.

I nodded and clasped his hand. "No thanks. What was your name again? "

Emi snickered beside me. You see, when Emi heard that I was going to help Connor and his friend capture the tiger she didn't hesitate to join. Flora who was around got dragged along.

"Matt." He frowned. Matt had thin blue eyes, and dirty blonde hair. A srcuffy looking fellow. I realized he was that kid who always hung around Connor since, kindergarten...?

"Rayne, " I replied and pointed to Emi and Flora, "Emiko, Flora."

"Nice to meet you ladies. " Matt smirked.

Connor nodded at the girls and we took our seat at the library table. Emi knocked on the table top and said, "this should be easy. "

"Actually... " I started, "not really. " Connor and I explained to everyone what had happened with the wolf and deers, and how someone could be experimenting on animals.

"So, some mad scientist out there is mutating animals? " Matt asked.

I nodded. "It could be, animals don't just grow two extra heads and purposely leave it's home to attack humans."

"No obviously they don't," Matt agreed, stroking his non existent beard.

"The tiger." Emi snapped her fingers. "He's probably planning on luring in the tiger too."

Flora nodded and didn't say anything.

"But that's the thing, who's behind all this? " I murmured.

Connor pulled out a book, and opened it up. "We have to have a game plan, " He said as he jotted it down in his book.

Emi pounded a fist into her other hand. "We find the man, or women, or person behind this bull crap and crush him, or her, or they, or—"

"Before all that, " I interrupted, "how do we find this person? "

"Well we follow our leads, " Flora said, "you said you saw a building in the forest? "

"Building in forest... The villains lair! " Matt proclaimed, he rubbed his hands together evilly. "Exciting!"

"It's not supposed to be exciting... " I mumbled as I pondered on that thought. "It does, doesn't it?"

"Guys, forest, building, evil villain who mutates animals. Stay on track, " Connor groaned.

➷➷

You might be wondering why I said forest and not the woods, well the thing is it's an actual forest. Most of East Lightville is acres and acres of trees. It's huge and protected by ninja-trained forest rangers. No one who goes in takes anything out without going through a ranger.

The forest wasn't far from school so we all walked there together. Back then, I'd never thought I'd ever be walking with this group of people.

Emi pulled Connor into a head lock and said she was going to have a little talk with him. While Matt, Flora and I walked behind.

"So..." Matt drawled, "You and my bro, like together or what? "

I side-eyed him and snorted. "Who gave you that idea? "

"Well, Connor he, he—nevermind." He looked over at Flora who seemed to be slowly falling asleep, I feared she'd start sleep walking.

"Girl? " I shook her and she blinked awake, looking at me like I was crazy.

"Is that you, father? " She reached past me, out to Matt's face touching his cheek. Matt blushed under her touch and I stifled a laugh.

"Um no, I'm no daddy," Matt muttered, looking very uncomfortable.