My one act play from theater class

Hope you guys like it

Once upon a Time in the South
By Liam Locke

Synopsis
On the run from the law Marcus, Arlington, and Ronald will face punishment for their sins while hiding out in an old plantation house in the swamps of Marbury Louisiana.

Character List
MARCUS(m): Leader of the gang whose greediness Influences most decisions. Wanted alive for
50,000$ after a string of organized robberies of Federal banks
RONALD(m): The muscle of the gang known for his brutal no bounds combat style and crazed demeanor. Wanted dead for the brutal murders of civilians and lawmen across the states of the midwest.
ARLINGTON(m): Marcus's personal accountant, and is a married man. Arlington's family lives a comfortable life up north in New York while he's "working". Very unfaithful to his wife. Wanted for insider trading and pyramid schemes.
DEMONIC PRESENCE(m&f): A voice that teases and tortures the gang members as they are together or in their individual rooms. Does demon things that happen on ghost shows like scratch and growl, at people break objects, throw things, etc.
Note: has two voices in an effort to replicate the powers of demons, supposedly the demon has a male and female voice and switches between them in lines.
MARY(f):A vision of Arlington's actual wife who is very angry with him. WILLIAM(m): A vision of Arlington's 8-year-old son.
ANNABELLE(f): A vision of Arlington's 15-year-old daughter. ZOMBIES(f&m): the physical manifestation of tormented souls.
TORMENTED SOULS(f&m): voices of the souls that are victims of Ronald before physically appearing as walking corpses
(It can also be done with quick appearances of actors to represent the souls if wanted I just think that disembodied voices are more impactful.)
Note: Kind of like the demon there is a female and male voice but each voice is a separate soul. In my mind, I'd like there to be 3 souls that represent all of Ronald's victims.

HAROLD(m): Vision of a bartender/gambling dealer. DONGFENG​(m): Chinese organized crime boss in a big city. HENCHMEN (M): work for Dongfeng
SERVENTS(F): Also work for Dongfeng
SWAMPER: Man who lives in the swamps.
POLICE FEDERAL AGENTS, AND DETECTIVES. (M): Out with a warrant to arrest the gang.
SECRETARY(F) Works in Arlington's office DUBOI(M): Policemen in New Orleans

- Drinking glass
- Burlap sack
- Lots of paper money
- Apple juice in a wine bottle
- Playing cards poker chips
- Hats
- Rope and cloth rags
- Barrel
- Police baton
- Woman's glove
- Rope
- Rag
- Devil mask
Prop List

Scene 1 #
We start with the stage being nearly pitch black with only enough light to illuminate people on the stage. A bright white cutout of a moon hangs down from the scaffolding 3 men walk onto the stage in almost a line, the last one fanning himself with his bowler hat. Audio of a summer night with all sorts of bugs, and frogs making clicks and calls plays continuously
ARLINGTON: Marcus! What is the plan? It's swelteringly hot, and I keep being bitten by bugs!
The Trio stops and MARCUS turns around
MARCUS: Please stop your bellyaching. I will find some shelter. It's not my fault that our horses ran away and the other with the camping supplies was eaten by an Alligator! RONALD: Isn't it pronounced ALLA----GATOR?
MARCUS: That's what I said, you dolt!
ARLINGTON: No, you said AL---LEE--GATOR.
MARCUS: I do not have time to debate you two on the English language!
ARLINGTON: Technically speaking you would be debating us on phonics.
MARCUS: Whatever Arlington, welcome to the American wilderness, and Ronald if a single bill is missing from that bag I will personally----
A third man walks onto the stage.
SWAMPER: Well hello there! How y'all folks doing?
MARCUS: Not good I'm afraid we're traveling salesmen in search of--

SWAMPER: Y'all ain't from around here, you must be Yankee carpetbaggers! I can tell from your voices.
MARCUS: What?
SWAMPER: Your salesmen from up north right?
ARLINGTON (​whispers)​ Go along.
MARCUS: Yes yes we are real estate agents from New York! Preparing to spread into this lovely piece of land!
ARLINGTON: Our client recently purchased some land around these parts but we are unfortunately lost.
SWAMPER: Hmm well there is the old Smithfield plantation but I wouldn't want to go there. MARCUS: I do believe that is the property that was acquired by Mr. Lancaster. Is there something wrong with it?
SWAMPER: Well after the war, and after the Yankees lit Atlanta on fire and all that Yankee propaganda was being spread the plantation went downhill. Businesses in Georgia were their main customer. Smithfield and his family all passed away about 20 years ago. ARLINGTON:(​sarcastically)​ Oh how tragic.
SWAMPER: Some crazies have been going in there doing some of that hoodoo voodoo stuff. Now I ain't a superstitious man but I am an intelligent one.
MARCUS:(​Keep telling yourself that)​
SWAMPER: You don't go messing around with crazies.
ARLINGTON:(​Get on with it old man​.) Where is the location of the property?
SWAMPER: Bout a lil walk that away. (​Points behind him.​)

MARCUS: Well thank you for your kindness sir and we shall proceed with caution.
The SWAMPER walks off of the stage waving beforehand.
MARCUS, RONALD, and ARLINGTON continue walking towards the direction the SWAMPER pointed at.
MARCUS: The Audacity of that redneck hick! Calling us Yankees.... Well, maybe Arlington over here.
ARLINGTON: HEY!
RONALD: We hate the government just like a lot of folks down here!
MARCUS: Except for logical reasons not (​scoffs) (sarcastically​) "States Rights". ARLINGTON: The southern states and the Democrats haven't taken very kindly to the federal government or the Republican party since after the war.
MARCUS: It is ridiculous.
RONALD: It's like the 30th anniversary of the war right?
ARLINGTON: Just about. Do you know what I've heard?
MARCUS: What?
ARLINGTON: I've heard that a bunch of Confederate Veterans and their sons have been grouping up forming militias.
MARCUS: You've got to be kidding me, a bunch of old greys and their kin playin solder is all ridiculous!
RONALD: Look at the house!
MARCUS: Good eye Ronald.

THE TRIO RUN off of the stage ( or in the back dark corner) but at the last minute ARLINGTON drops his hat and runs back out to grab it (hissing sound plays.) Arlington has a loud yelp and leaves the hat and runs to the other two.
Curtains close for scene change Scene 2
The curtains open a dim-lit foyer is a stage there are dusty old chairs and a table tipped over. Towards the back of the stage staircases leading up to the second floor split. Between the staircases are three doors (that can open). There is also a cabinet with drinking glasses and the finest bottle of "wine".
MARCUS and Ronald are pacing around the stage admiring the room though it is quite dark. ARLINGTON Rushes onto the stage panting as he slams the door shut.
ARLINGTON: (​out of breath​) How do these damned people live down here! It's Mad! There are bugs, snakes, alligators, (​takes a deep breath.​) On top of all of that, if you wanna see more of what the south has to offer all we have to do is go back outside!
.
RONALD: For the love of god shut up!
MARCUS: Alright we get it! It is hot, and yes these are not the best of circumstances. We have shelter and we are away from Uncle Sam. Ronald search for some matches or something, a candle, anything.

Right when RONALD takes his first step the lights turn on.
RONALD: Guess my job is done.
ARLINGTON: Hey guys is it just me or is it kinda chilly in here?
MARCUS: You were just complaining about it being hot a minute ago! DEMON: (​Only Arlington hears)​ Shut up you gib face.
ARLINGTON: Hey don't call me a gib face!
MARCUS: I didn't! If I was to call you something I'd call you a damn foozler! ARLINGTON: Your nothing but a weasley lil oil rat!
RONALD picked up the chairs and set the table upright and looked in the cabinet and pulled out three glasses and an unmarked bottle that looked like wine.
DEMON: Flapdoodle.
ARLINGTON: Hornswaggler!
MARCUS: Stop acting like a child! I should have never let you take an actual part in the robbery.
ARLINGTON: Whatever you drunk!
RONALD: Shut it both of you I found us something to drink!
MARCUS: What year is it?
RONALD: It doesn't say anything on the bottle. ARLINGTON: The Smithfields must have made it themselves.
THE TRIO SIT DOWN at the table as RONALD pours them drinks.

MARCUS lifts his hand to take a sip but stops.
ARLINGTON: Marcus what's wrong?
MARCUS: This isn't wine, this is moonshine.
RONALD:(​Coughing after taking a sip.)​ Strong *cough* shine to.
ARLINGTON: I guess this must have been their side hustle after the war.
RONALD: Man I cannot wait to sleep in a bed.
MARCUS: We need to stay on the ground floor. I saw termites in one of the walls and I wouldn't be surprised if walls had dry rot.
ARLINGTON: Those three rooms (​points behind Ronald)​ should be good enough. Lord knows what could be living upstairs.
RONALD: I think ARLINGTON has had enough of the action side of the robbery. He's acting like the world outside his office or hotel room is a wonderland or somethin.
ARLINGTON: If it wasn't for me we would never be successful. Speaking of my role, same drill as always.
MARCUS: We take a train up to New York, and meet your banker buddy.
RONALD: Buddy gets his cut and deposits it into your bank account saying that you sold some land to Standard Oil.
ARLINGTON: Finally a week later I make 3 withdrawals from my account for some investments in a new railway line and we meet up in my office for some scotch.
MARCUS: Then I and Ronald head out to the safe house back in Nevada.
ARLINGTON: Then in the next few months make another plan and do it all again!

All three take a toast and clash their glasses together as they drink it all down.
MARCUS: Ronald, top me off pal be a good friend?
RONALD refills everyone's drinks.
ARLINGTON: Hey Marcus im sorry for yelling at you earlier you're doing the best that you can and we've got a place to lay low.
MARCUS: Apologies accepted but I don't know why you said I called you Gibfaced? ARLINGTON: Must have been my mind playing tricks on me.
RONALD: It was also weird how the lights came on without me lighting them.
MARCUS: That is strange but I wouldn't worry bout this ghostly miasma *sips drink*. Besides what have ghosts ever done, move a Little girl's doll? Why would a ghost wanna kill someone they just are stuck with a permanent roommate!
Everyone continues to down their drinks as a slew of drunken laughter begins.
ARLINGTON: I will say Marcus this is a must better predicament than what you tried yesterday.
Curtains close for Scene 3
The Curtains open to a room decorated with Chinese art and foreign plants and animals. MARCUS and ARLINGTON are sitting at a table with RONALD standing behind them. At the other side of the table was a famous Chinese Crime lord DONGFENG. Standing behind him were two of his henchmen. A woman in a traditional Chinese dress stood at the middle side offering drinks and smokes to the TRIO.

MARCUS: *Takes glass and tips hat* Thank you sweetheart. Mr. Feng--
DONGFENG: It is pronounced, Dongfeng,(Don-che), and let's cut to the chase as you Americans call it. I want something in return for your protection from the New Orleans police. ARLINGTON: What are your demands?
DONGFENG: 25,000$ in cash right now.
MARCUS slams his fist into the table in anger. Being frightened the woman dropped her tray breaking the antique wine and glasses.
MARCUS: That is a ridiculous demand! That is a quarter of our profit!
ARLINGTON: Marcus what are you doing? We'd still have a killing! Butch Cassidy and his Wild Bunch haven't even taken 50,000$ in one robbery yet.
MARCUS: Don't you ever mention that man's name in my presence!
DONGFENG: Another Two to Five thousand should cover the Wine and Glasses you've just broken.
MARCUS:It ain't my fault if the woman's got butter fingers.
ARLINGTON:Can we not negotiate at all?
DONGFENG: I was then you broke my good China and then i've realised---
RONALD bursts out laughing as DONGFENG looks at RONALD in anger. MARCUS still uneasy with the mention of Butch Cassidy stares down at the table. ARLINGTON whips himself astonished at RONALD's laughter.
RONALD: It's funny because he's from China and Marcus broke the China and
(slowly realizes the severity of the situation) *pause* and i realize now that i'm not funny.

DONGFENG: I've realised that you're the infamous Penny Pincher gang and each of your bounties especially with robbing the El Paso Federal bank should cover the damages and much more. Officer Duboi!
Two men rush onto stage kicking down a face door. They were police officers and pulled out their batons.
DUBOI: You three are under arrest under the authority of the city of New Orleans. MARCUS:Ronald amscray!
RONALD picked up a barrel from behind him and used his muscle to propel the barrel at the police
Curtains close for scene three
The curtain opens to the main foyer of the plantation house where the TRIO are still melting in
semi drunken laughter ARLINGTON even falls out of his chair laughing as RONALD reaches out to pull him up.
MARCUS: Well we'd better be getting some shut eye just go into one of the rooms behind us. The three men get up from the table and shuffle along to the three fake doors that represent the bedrooms as the curtains close again for a brief addition of furniture.
When the curtains over again there are people all around the room in a ball like setting. (None should be looking directly at the audience). The table that the men were drinking at was now a poker table. MARCUS now walks out of his room in awe of the site.
MARCUS: Umm hello?
No one responds or acknowledges him.
HAROLD: Well hello there sire care for a game of cards?

MARCUS: Sure I never turn down a game,( I can double our winnings for the robbery) what would we be playing?
HAROLD: Black Jack! Care for a drink sir?
MARCUS: Sure.
HAROLD: I assure you this is from Mr. Smithfields best batch yet.
Pours MARCUS a glass.
MARCUS: Mr. Smithfield? The plantation owner?
HAROLD: No longer unfortunately last year General Lee made that treaty with the Union. MARCUS: Wait, the year is 1896 isn't it?
HAROLD:​*Chuckles​* Ha you've must have read one of Mr Smithfield's Son's famous novels! Young Jonathan is set to be the next Charles Dickens I tell you.
MARCUS: Lets just play shall we.( ​All of this is a little strange)​
Harold dealt out two cards face down MARCUS takes them and looks at them he has a One and a Two. MARCUS thinks for a moment then says.
MARCUS: Hit me!
MARCUS picked up the new card that was placed in front of him; it was a King. MARCUS:Dammit!
HAROLD: Would you like another go sir?
MARCUS: Sure why not?
HAROLD deals out two new cards and MARCUS picks them up. Both of the cards are sixes. MARCUS: Hit me!
He picks up the new card.

MARCUS: Another Six now ain't that something? Three sixes equal 18 right? HAROLD: Yes sir.
MARCUS: I can make it. Hit me again.
MARCUS picked up the card and it was a queen.
MARCUS: God damn it all!
HAROLD: Would you like another go?
MARCUS: Third times the charm.
HAROLD: I do require payment this time.
MARCUS: How much?
HAROLD: A soul.
MARCUS Has a strange look on his face.
MARCUS: Ohh this must be one of those weird rich folk parties. Sure I'll sell my soul. Hell I'll sell both of my friends' souls for your best wine.
HAROLD: Excellent choice sir.
All of the members of the party put on the devil's mask. HAROLD pulls out a bottle of wine from under the table and places it on the table.
MARCUS:*​Reading*​ Dante Alligeri 1320 wow that's really old wine my friend.
ARLINGTON and RONALD have their arms tied up and rags in their mouths being moved by the masked party goers to the unseen part of the stage. HAROLD puts on his demon mask. MARCUS: What is going on here.
HAROLD: You've just sold your and the souls of you and your friends to the Devil welcome to the 4th circle Mr Marcus Buchanin.

The curtains close for scene change Scene 4.
The stage is illuminated by orange light and if possible use smoke effects to allude to a fire. The DEMON and TORTURED SOULS are invisible; we only hear their voices.
RONALD runs out of his room frantically running all over the stage.
RONALD:Fire Fire! Marcus! Arlington! Where are you?
DEMON: Ronald Penniton. You have killed 50 people in cold blood! Innocent Men, women and children! Intentional and non!
RONALD:​*Screams in pain*
Ronald removes his jacket to reveal 3 gigantic red scratches across his back, the blood staining his white undershirt as he fell to his knees continuing to grimace from the burning, throbbing pain that he was feeling.
DEMON: You've shown nothing but violence you entire life. violence against, neighbors, against those close to you, your lust of blood is violence against yourself!
TORMENTED SOUL1: I was a veteran! Right when I came off of the boat from the homeland I signed up and defended this country. I planted seeds and made a life for myself in this prosperous country! Then you cut my golden years short!
RONALD: What does this have to do with anything the building is on fire!
DEMON: Silence!
TORMENTED SOUL2: My husband works long hours and works a dangerous job! Guarding banks and payroll coaches might pay well but it takes a toll on his body, and mind. The one time he was stationed to guard the bank in town I packed him lunch and decided to bring it to him.

Then you took me hostage and like any good husband he went to defend me. Now our son is an orphan!
RONALD: *weakly* He shouldn't have resisted. *screams again in agony*
TORMENTED SOUL 3: Being the oldest of 7 children isn't always fun. Momma always gives me the most chores. Momma can't read so she sends me into town to buy things and check the mail. This time Momma told me to put the spare change into the bank but there were these men and an explosion and noise then nothing.
The ZOMBIES begin to shuffle onto the stage as RONALD is curled up on the floor both crying from the pain that he feels physically and emotionally from the ghastly wounds and hearing more stories of the lives that he has ended.
RONALD: NO! NO! Get away! All of you! I'll! I'll! Kills you!
The ZOMBIES surround RONALD until he isn't visible then the curtain closes.
Curtains close for scene Change Scene 5#
The curtains open to an office setting ARLINGTON is at his desk typing away on a typewriter and has a desk fan on his desk as well. A stack of papers on the right side of the desk detailing plans for the next robbery. There is a door on the side of the stage actors come onto the stage from.

ARLINGTON:*Reads as he is typing* The Train will arrive at the station at approximately 1:30 Pm. From my sources the train is newly mined gold and silver bars heading for Fort Knox. Ran by the treasury department. If we derail the train then law men will have an easier time catching us. My suggestion is that we blow the bridge when it reaches the canyon, having the train fall then heading down to the crash site with some mules and wagons.
Sincerely Arlington Weasley.
Knocks on the door. Arlington places the letter just types quickly into a nearby stack of documents.
ARLINGTON: Come in!
WILLIAM: DAD!
ANNABELLE: Hey dad.
Mary:Hello hon we brought you some snacks.
ARLINGTON Bends down to hug WILLIAM (If using a child actor have ARLINGTON pick him up to hug him then put him down.)
WILLIAM: We brought you some chocolate!
ANNABELLE: There is a new European bakery a couple of blocks away from here. The cannolis are so good!
ARLINGTON: We will have to get some next time we head to Rome on vacation. WILLIAM: Dad! Are we still going to the baseball game?

ARLINGTON:Yes William were still going on next monday.
MARY: Hey kids why don't you step out into the waiting room out i'll be out in a minute.
WILLIAM AND ANABELLE walk to the door and open it and begin to walk off stage with the door open immediately after the SECRETARY walks in and closes the door behind her.
SECRETARY: Hello Sir ​ ​we got a telegram for you!
ARLINGTON walks over and takes it from her hand.
ARLINGTON: Thank you, you're dismissed.
The SECRETARY USES the door to walk off stage. ARLINGTON reads the piece of paper and has a noticeable worried look on his face.
MARY: What is it dear?
ARLINGTON: No. Nothing!
MARY: No no no something is wrong what is it? ARLINGTON: Just leave it be.
MARY: No i'm not going to leave it be!
MARY snatches the paper from his hand and reads it. MARY: Oh my God. Arlington who is Maria?!

Arlington: No one!!
The SECRETARY pokes her head through the door.
SECRETARY: Hey sir! There's that special client that is here she has been waiting for! Also i'm filling out one of those special checks for her I forget what amount to write *​pauses and realizes Mary is still in the room*​ down. I'll just come back in later at a better time.
She quickly slams the door.
MARY: How many women Arlington how many!
ARLINGTON: I swear it is not like that at all!
MARY walks over to his desk and looks at the pile of papers.
MARY: You've probably got more letters from these harlets in here!
MARY starts reading the top paper. The one about the train robbery.
MARY: You, you're planning to rob a train!
ARLINGTON: No no i'm umm writing a book yes a book it's a crime novella!
MARY: I want a divorce Arlington you dirty cheater! I'm leaving and taking the kids with me! ARLINGTON briskly walks over and places his hand on her shoulder in an attempt to stop her and talk to her.
ARLINGTON:Please no not the kids anything! I love them! Every day I work for them!
Take the house, my fortune, anything! Just not my kids
MARY turns around and smacks him across the face.
MARY:If you really cared about the kids you wouldn't have been wandering around with some harlot when i'm not around. Arlington Weasley your nothing but a damn womanizer.

He just stood there holding his face slowly collapsing to the ground. Curtains close for scene change
Scene #6
T​he Curtains open to The foyer ARLINGTON, MARCUS, and RONALD run out of there rooms
terrified.
ARLINGTON: I had a horrible nightmare.
MARCUS: That wasn't a dream! Something truly evil is afoot!
RONALD: I felt everything there's scars on my back we need to get out of here!
SWAMPER walks onto the stage wearing the bowler hat that ARLINGTON dropped earlier. SWAMPER: Get those yankees!
Police and Detectives storm onto the stage (about 5-6 in total) Officer DUBOI is among them.
ARLINGTON: Hey that's my hat! I had that hand tailored by a seamstress in Sicily! SWAMPER: Heh not yours anymore.
DUBOI: You are all under arrest for the robbery of the EL Paso federal bank.
ARLINGTON and MARCUS raised their hands in the air RONALD got onto his knees and started crying in fear.
RONALD: Please take us away from here jail, the chain gang anything!

Detective: If only it was always this easy all the time.
Detectives walk over and start putting handcuffs on ARLINGTON, MARCUS, and RONALD.
DUBOI: I wholeheartedly agree!
SWAMPER: Good job officer, yankees getting what they deserve.
The End

: