Chapter 59

The battle cry was loud and ringing, and even as the rebels ran forward, more soldiers began to join the fight.

Arrows flew true through the air, whizzing narrowly by many of the Celestials and Ghost soldiers, embedding their deadly sharp tips in the chests of many, and even as Feng Jiu swung her Tao Zhu Sword, a mob of Ghost soldiers surrounded her, their blackish steel swords gleaming malevolently beneath the immortalized light of the silver moon that hung above them.

“Aren’t you a pretty little fox? You shouldn’t be in this fight.” One of them cooed mockingly, before he slashed his blade towards Feng Jiu, and enraged by his shameless comment, Feng Jiu snarled, pulling a dagger from her boot as she slammed her foot into his chest, “Shameless! I am the Princess of Qing Qiu!” “Why won’t Qing Qiu fight with us?” A soldier managed to place his fingers beneath her jaw, and Feng Jiu’s eyes flashed brightly with fury, “How dare you!”

A screamed was emitted from the soldier’s mouth, high-pitched and girly, as Feng Jiu’s jaws elongated into a snout, and the monstrously large fox snapped down on the soldier’s neck, leaving a deep bite mark as Feng Jiu pulled away, blood and saliva dripping from her long canines. The remaining soldiers that attempted to come near were mercilessly attacked by nine tails of red fur tipped with white, and claws that were long enough to slice cleanly through their palms.

“Xiao Jiu! Be careful!” Zhe Yan shouted over the deafening noise of battle as three Ghost soldiers charged at her back, but Feng Jiu had not heard him, and even as Zhe Yan was about to fly down to save her from the impending attack, a flash almost like a shadow had beat him to it, and the three soldiers that were sprawled on the sand were decorated by ribbons of their own blood falling back down on them.

“Dong Hua?” Zhe Yan was surprised to see that his old friend had rejoined war affairs, but when the phoenix looked again, Feng Jiu was alone, and equally as confused as Zhe Yan regarding what had happened. “Why are you two not down there?” A familiar voice spoke behind Zhe Yan, and with a smile, Zhe Yan and Mo Yuan turned to face the one and only Di Jun: “I could ask you the same, Dong Hua. Why save her, then leave her fighting alone?” “I’m not even supposed to be fighting.” Di Jun answered plainly, but a trace of a scowl marked his features, and Zhe Yan raised his eyebrows, “But you killed three men to save her from being hurt.”

“They were lucky to have died quickly by my hand then, those boneless soldiers.” Di Jun’s scowl was finally out, “Sneak attacking Xiao Bai instead of fighting her outrightly.” “You know, Dong Hua, I don’t see how we could possibly even trust that you feel nothing towards our Xiao Jiu when every time you mention her, you call her either just by her name, or ‘Xiao Bai’.” Zhe Yan brought it up casually, a smirk on his lips, and driven by annoyance, Di Jun turned his passive stare to Mo Yuan instead, “Why aren't you fighting, Mo Yuan?”

“I’m here to support Ye Hua’s troops if he needs more men. And fight Qing Cang, should he really be foolish enough to attempt fighting right after he breaks out from the bell. Zhe Yan, of course, is here to be the Medicine King’s partner as a medic.” Mo Yuan answered calmly, unfazed by Di Jun’s cold stare, having grown used to his friend’s coldness and unfriendliness, and Di Jun merely just shook his head, his purple robes fluttering in the night wind, “So we’re all going to stand here until duty calls.” “Or, you can join Xiao Jiu and fight like how Bai Qian and Ye Hua are.” Zhe Yan suggested cheekily, and Di Jun shot him an intimidating cold glare, which was enough to shut the Phoenix up for a while.

As the battle progressed on, Zhe Yan was whisked off by duty to heal the wounded soldiers, and even as the battle continued, Bai Qian leaned against her husband, regaining her breath as her hand gripped her abdomen. “Are you okay, Qian Qian?” Ye Hua continued fending off the attacks, managing to spear two soldiers on his Qing Ming Sword before he pulled it out cleanly, slicing at another group of soldiers, and Bai Qian was panting as she replied, “I’m fine...”