Chapter 27

"...Gugu, are you sure you're okay with that?"

Feng Jiu bit into a peach as she studied Bai Qian's attire, and Bai Qian was very tempted to cross her arms, if not for fear of ruining the fabric and risking a scolding from the Fox Empress for looking most certainly unladylike, "Xiao Jiu, I brought you up, and you know my tastes. Surely you can tell I am NOT okay with this- this outrageously stiff attire!"

Indeed she was, Feng Jiu thought dryly, watching as Bai Qian tried to twist the collar of her dress down. Bai Qian had never worn anything quite like silk, for she had always insisted on something light weighted that was easy to fight in. And yet now she was decked in nine layers of heavy — and most certainly expensive — white silk, and she was barely able to take a stride in it.

And then the accessories. Bai Qian never wore more than just a simple pair of earrings, with just a portion of her hair pinned up by a hairpin with rather mild designs. And yet now more than half her hair had been drawn into a high bun, which then held up an ornately decorated headpiece, and a hairpin that had so many dangling pieces from it that Feng Jiu could already imagine the weight of it in her hands.

"Could we bargain with Grandmother, perhaps?" Feng Jiu was careful not to step on the long white trail of silk from Bai Qian's dress as she nimbly leapt over to Bai Qian's side, and Bai Qian gave her a tight smile, "Xiao Jiu, I've already negotiated to go without a necklace, a bracelet and an additional hairpin. Mother won't cut it any further."

"Oh." Feng Jiu was slightly upset that Bai Qian couldn't dress as she liked for her own wedding. After all, it was Bai Qian's wedding, so why couldn't she choose her own attire? But then again, this was an alliance marriage between the Celestial Tribe and Qing Qiu, so of course it would have to be formal. "It's okay, Xiao Jiu," It was as though Bai Qian had sensed Feng Jiu's disappointment, "I already had the simple wedding I wanted with Ye Hua in the mortal realm."

"But this is your proper one!" Feng Jiu spoke with indignance as she recalled back on how everyone had called the marriage between Su Su and Ye Hua invalid, and Bai Qian merely smiled, "Our hearts were in it. So long as both of us agree that it was valid, then it shall be, no matter even if it was a simple mortal one."

'So long as both of us agree that it was valid, then it shall be, no matter even if it was a simple mortal one.' Feng Jiu felt a tear slide down her cheek faster than she could react. It was yet another reminder, although unintentional, that her marriage to Di Jun in the mortal realm counted as nought, because Di Jun most certainly would not agree upon its validity.

"Xiao Jiu, are you alright?" Bai Qian's concerned voice floated into Feng Jiu's ears, snapping her back into reality, and with a quick cover up of a smile, Feng Jiu nodded, "I'm fine, Gugu."

And her jaw dropped in horror when Bai Qian thrusted a heavy stack of clothes into her hands, "Good. Then, now, you can try on your clothes!"

Finally managing to escape the Fox Empress's clutches, Bai Qian and Feng Jiu both collapsed onto Bai Qian's bed in exhaustion, and Feng Jiu kicked her feet in the air as she rolled over onto her stomach, propping her head on her arms as she asked Bai Qian curiously, "Gugu, why must I have a dress fitting too? Can't I just help in the kitchen?"

"Xiao Jiu, you are to be present with the rest of the family, even if you were to help with the preparation of the food." Bai Qian explained, and Feng Jiu pouted, "Must I really wear all that silk, though?" "Yes, Feng Jiu." Bai Qian grinned at her niece, "Did you honestly think that you could be the only one to weasel out from the silk?"

"No." Feng Jiu muttered, and Bai Qian laughed, "Don't be upset. Now tell me, what is it you and Nai Nai have been preparing?" "The banquet's food, of course." Feng Jiu had a sly smile on her face as well. She most certainly wouldn't give away any surprises on the dishes. "You're no fun." Bai Qian scolded with a huff, reaching out to grab Feng Jiu, and Feng Jiu quickly changed into her red fox form, yipping as she leapt off the bed. With a grin, Bai Qian leapt off after Feng Jiu, her nine white tails waving madly behind her as she chased after her niece on padded paws.

"Enough, the both of you!" Bai Zhen finally caught them at the entrance of the Fox Den, having watched them tumble down its front steps in a tussle, their jaws snapping playfully at each other, with Bai Qian now pinning Feng Jiu down, and they changed back into their deity forms quickly as both of them began laughing. "Xiao Wu, clean yourself up. Surely you remember that Ye Hua is dropping by today with his family?" Zhe Yan reminded, surveying all the dirt and dust that had gotten into the hem of her dress — as well as the twigs that littered her hair — with great amusement.

The way his words cleanly wiped the laughter off Bai Qian's face was enough to prove that she had, indeed, forgotten about the matter, and everyone broke into laughter as Bai Qian instantly sprinted back into the Fox Den to clean herself up.

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

"Feng Jiu greets First Prince Yang Cuo, Goddess Le Xu and Crown Prince Ye Hua...and Consort Su Jin." Feng Jiu spat the last name out unwillingly, and Bai Zhen nudged her in the ribs to remind her about her etiquette. "No need for the formalities; we are to be family soon, after all." Yang Cuo smiled kindly, and Feng Jiu thought silently to herself, "Bless this First Prince Yang Cuo. I bet he's completely unaware of what his wife and foster daughter contributed to Gugu's despair back then."

"Not to be rude...but is Bai Qian unwell? Why has she not come to greet us?" Le Xu wore a look of concern, although Feng Jiu did think, in all her honesty, that Le Xu was implying that Bai Qian was extremely rude to not come to greet them. Which, Feng Jiu thought with a scowl, was completely wrong, seeing as how Le Xu would have to greet Bai Qian properly, if not because Bai Qian was going to marry Ye Hua and then be of a lower rank.

"Gugu was having her dress fitting." Feng Jiu spoke bluntly, and Bai Zhen nudged her again, this time with much more force, "Xiao Jiu!" "What?" Feng Jius hissed back in annoyance, rubbing her ribcage, and before Bai Zhen could reply, Bai Qian emerged from the Fox Den, her hair shimmering with water as droplets flicked onto the floor with each swish of her long hair, and she quickly rushed to the steps of the Fox Den, "Bai Qian greets First Prince Yang Cuo and Goddess Le Xu."

"No need for formalities." Le Xu spoke this time, and Bai Qian quickly rose again, smiling at Ye Hua, before her eyes reached Su Jin, who stood between Le Xu and Ye Hua, and Bai Qian's eyes narrowed briefly before resuming their smiles, "Su Jin? What brings you here as well?" "Replying to High Goddess, Ye Hua mentioned that the Little Prince is here. I would like to see how he's faring with Qing Qiu." Su Jin wore a dazzling smile, and Bai Qian saw Ye Hua's eyes twitch in the form of a restrained eye roll, and resisted one herself. Ye Hua most certainly would not have told her A-Li's whereabouts, and even so, Su Jin couldn't care less about A-Li's wellbeing.

"A-Li is studying with Zhe Yan right now, it would be unwise to disturb him. But would you mind some tea in the Fox Den?" Bai Qian signalled for Feng Jiu to follow them as she gestured to the Fox Den, and with a nod, Le Xu, Yang Cuo and Su Jin entered the den, with Bai Zhen fleeing after realising Bai Qian's intentions, leaving Ye Hua alone with Bai Qian.

"Qian Qian." Ye Hua smiled, and he already enveloped her in a hug before she could say anything. "It's been a week. Missed me?" Bai Qian looked up at Ye Hua with a shy smile, something she did frequently as Su Su and seldomly as Bai Qian, and he laughed, gently pressing his lips to her forehead, "You know my answer, so why do you still ask?"

"I don't know, maybe because the next time I see you, you bring Su Jin with you." Bai Qian pulled away from his arms, folding hers before her chest, "What's the meaning of this, Ye Hua?" "She overheard the conversation between Mother and I, and insisted on coming. I tried to dissuade her, but Mother insisted for her to come." Ye Hua explained calmly, his dark eyes smiling as he pulled her back into his arms for a kiss, making Bai Qian's anger dissipate at once, and when they finally parted, Bai Qian's cheeks were pinker than ever, and she gestured with her head, "Let's go, or they'll start to get suspicious."

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

A/N: Oooopss still not the wedding yet ahhhhhhh sorryyyyyyyyyy
It'll probably be the next chapter, or the next next chapter, okay?

Love y'all
☺︎︎ Z, out