Chapter 17

"Gugu..."

"You have something to ask of me again, do you not, Xiao Jiu?" Bai Qian calmly took a bite of her rice, clipping a piece of meat for A-Li as she did so, and Feng Jiu realised that Bai Qian wouldn't be persuaded easily this time. 

"Gugu...please~...I'll cook whatever you want for 3 days straight when I return?"

That did the trick. Bai Qian glanced briefly at Feng Jiu, considering the deal as she chewed her food carefully, and when she swallowed, Bai Qian raised her eyebrows slightly, meaning to say that she accepted the deal, "Just spit it out...what do you want me to hide from your father for you this time?" 

Feng Jiu quickly slipped into her auntie's arms, making sure Bai Qian wouldn't go back on her words, before she rushed the words out quickly.

"GuguI'mgoingtothemortalrealmtorepayadebtsoGugucouldyouhelpcoverformewhileI'mthere?"

"Xiao Jiu, slow down." Bai Qian snorted, having only heard a chain of incoherent words, and Feng Jiu flushed slightly, before repeating it slower, "Gugu, I'm going to the mortal realm to repay a debt, so Gugu, could you help cover for me while I'm there?" "I don't suppose Di Jun will be there as well?" Bai Qian clipped a piece of vegetable, placing it into her mouth as she observed her niece, and Feng Jiu blushed even more violently, "Gugu…!"

"Xiao Jiu, I can cover for you. But you must know when to stop. You are the future Queen of Qing Qiu. You will inherit my throne, unless I have another heir, and even if I do, your father's land and throne are still yours to inherit." Bai Qian said slowly, and the meaning was clear to Feng Jiu: she would soon be the image of Qing Qiu. She couldn't afford to embarrass Qing Qiu's.

"Yes, Gugu..." Feng Jiu mumbled, a frown creasing her forehead, and Bai Qian picked up a few pieces of vegetables, placing them into Feng Jiu's bowl, "Now, eat up, or your father will come accusing me of your malnourishment."

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

"I don't suppose you're ready, Little Highness?" Feng Jiu wrinkled her nose in disapproval of the distasteful clothes that she now wore, but what choice did she have? Si Ming said that most mortals in that particular city that was her hometown in her disguise's story wore clothes like those, and Feng Jiu had to blend in, of course. 

"Hide your birthmark", however, was the most offensive thing Si Ming had asked of her in the whole disguising process. Feng Jiu was the only deity and fox to ever be born with a red birthmark, and all the more it was in the shape of a phoenix flower. It was her pride, for it signified importance and power, and now Si Ming told her to hide it?!

"Mortals don't have birthmarks, Little Highness. If you want to disguise yourself as one, then at least disguise yourself better! Your looks may be a little too attractive for a mortal, but at least they can still blend in, but such a flower upon your head will most certainly stick out like a sore thumb!" Si Ming had briefed her anxiously, and with great stubbornness, Feng Jiu refused for him to conceal the birthmark that contributed to half her name, "I can manage a backstory on my own, for that!"

"Fine!" Si Ming gave up on trying to persuade her, and Feng Jiu glanced at the blurring landscapes beneath her, "I don't suppose we'll reach soon?" 

And without warning, Si Ming shoved her off the cloud, and as Feng Jiu flailed through the air, she heard Si Ming call after her.

"Good luck Little Highness!"

And Feng Jiu cursed as she drew near to the ground.

How bold of you, Si Ming!!!