Chapter 66

"Mi Gu, why hasn't Father or Mother showed up yet?"

The tree spirit stared at A-Li helplessly, before he attempted a smile, "Uh...Gugu and the Crown Prince may still be busy, Little Highness, so...perhaps they haven't had time yet?" "You're lying, Mi Gu..." A-Li sniffled, tears beginning to well up in his eyes, "Mother and Father don't want me because they'll have another child soon, don't they?" "Ah?! How could you say that, Little Highness?! Gugu loves you very much...as does Crown Prince Ye Hua!" Mi Gu was taken aback, and the sound of someone clearing their throat softly was heard from behind the tree spirit.

"Crown Prince Ye Hua!" Mi Gu sank into a hasty bow, and A-Li sat up abruptly in shock, "Father?" "Did you not want me to appear, A-Li?" Ye Hua signalled for Mi Gu to leave, and even as the tree spirit picked up the candle he had brought in to replace the melted one, Ye Hua sat by A-Li's bed, gently pushing his son back down as he pulled the covers over the little boy, "I heard you complaining to Mi Gu that your mother and I don't want you anymore. What happened, A-Li?"

"..." A-Li kept silent, avoiding his father's gaze, but Ye Hua did not turn to leave, despite his son's reluctance to speak, "Weren't you happy to be a brother, A-Li? What has changed?" "You never sent me off to anyone before. But ever since Mother's belly had a new baby in it, you've been sending me away and throwing me to Kun Lun and Uncle Mo Yuan every so often, Father!" A-Li finally broke into tears, and Ye Hua remained calm as he watched his son cry, "Do you know why I do that, A-Li?"

"Because Father doesn't love me anymore." A-Li answered, and Ye Hua pursed his lips slightly, before he folded his legs, turning to face his son entirely, "That's not true, A-Li. I still love you. But sending you to Kun Lun is for your own good." "How is it for my own good?" A-Li finally wiped away his tears, having gathered that his father would not wipe away his tears like his mother would, and Ye Hua waited patiently for A-Li to calm down, "A-Li, when your sibling is born, do you know what's going to happen?"

"No." A-Li sniffed, his tears finally drying up, and Ye Hua answered his question instead, "Your mother and I will have to take the throne of Heavenly Lord and Heavenly Lady. Do you know what that means, A-Li?" "I will take Father's position?" A-Li slowly began to understand where his father was coming from, and Ye Hua nodded in encouragement, "You're right, A-Li. You will be a little Prince of the Heavens. You will no longer be just the Little Celestial Grandson."

"And so you will have a greater responsibility, A-Li. When you are of age, you will begin to join court meetings with me. You will have to take on different roles and positions, because you will be the First Prince. Not only will you be a prince, you will also be a role model for your siblings. Do you understand this much?" Ye Hua explained gently, and A-Li fidgeted with his blanket, before he nodded his head, "I understand, Father." "If you were to be a role model, A-Li, what would you model to your siblings?" Ye Hua's tone took a sharper edge, and A-Li's lips were pursed as he stared at his father, contemplating if he should answer the question.

"The good things." A-Li spoke at last, unable to bear his father's firm gaze after all, and Ye Hua relaxed briefly, "And do you want them to emulate unruliness? And disorder? And ill discipline?" "No." A-Li answered at once, quicker than before, and Ye Hua finally gave his son a smile, "Do you understand why I wish to send you to Kun Lun now, A-Li?" "Yes, Father." A-Li mumbled, nodding his head in comprehension, and Ye Hua moved closer to his son, his hard demeanor fading away at last, "We will always love you, A-Li. No matter what we do, we will always mean for your best interests."

"But then where is Mother? Why did Mother not come with you, Father?" A-Li's eyes began to water again, the rims of his eyes turning red again, and Ye Hua's expression turned dark as he patted his son's head, "Your mother...she's unable to come, A-Li." "Is Mother alright?" A-Li was more frightened than upset by Ye Hua's grave expression, but his father merely shook his head, "She should be alright, A-Li. Sleep well, and I'll bring you to see her tomorrow."