Chapter 71

Two hundred years later...

"Are you ready, Qian Qian?"

The Crown Prince stood outside the Hall of Beautiful Youths, dressed in a simple black ceremonial robe, and inside the Hall of Beautiful Youths, the Crown Princess was hurriedly pulling on the white ceremonial gown she had been given with one hand while she tasked Nai Nai with Bai Jing with the other. "Make sure A-Li doesn't try to feed her cakes this time, understood?" Bai Qian warned, handing her two century year old daughter over to her handmaiden, and Nai Nai nodded, "Yes, Madam."

"No eating cakes either, Jing'er." Bai Qian added, glaring at her daughter, who looked up innocently at her, and Bai Qian narrowed her eyes, "Do you hear me, Jing'er?" "Yes, Mother..." Bai Jing nodded obediently, although her eyes glinted, and though Bai Qian was rather tempted to question her daughter again, Nai Nai pulled her sleeve slightly, and Bai Qian sighed, pulling on the last layer of her clothes before she ran out from her chambers.

"Are we late?" Bai Qian questioned the moment she saw Ye Hua, but her husband merely tilted his head curiously at her, "Qian Qian, you could have just left Jing'er to the wet nurse in charge." "She enchanted all of the servants the last time that happened without Nai Nai!" Bai Qian couldn't explain how exasperated she was at her daughter, who could miraculously already use some of her fox powers on others at the age of a mere two hundred years old, and Ye Hua chuckled, "Quite like you, I see."

"We aren't late, Qian Qian. The ceremony starts in half an hour. There is enough time to reach there even if you decide to take a stroll." Ye Hua smiled as the maids followed behind them closely, and Bai Qian wiped a portion of sweat from her hairline, "I am very glad that you educated A-Li for 300 years before I took over. Jing'er is a nightmare." "You keep too loose a leash on her." Ye Hua insisted, even as they neared the Grand Hall, and Bai Qian patted a strand of stray hair back into its place, before she wore a thoughtful expression, "Maybe. Or maybe it's because you've pampered your daughter too much. Perhaps we could send her to Shifu."

"The Crown Prince and Crown Princess have arrived!" The soldiers announced loudly, the moment Bai Qian and Ye Hua appeared, and a wave of silence crashed down upon the Grand Hall as Ye Hua offered his hand to Bai Qian, leading her into the Grand Hall. "Are you ready?" Ye Hua's smile faded away at last, now that all eyes were on them, and Bai Qian nodded, trying to ignore the fact that Ye Hua looked like they were sending themselves to death, "I'm perfectly fine, Ye Hua. It's just the seal, isn't it? I am more than capable of taking 81 bolts of Heavenly Wildfire and 9 bolts of Heavenly Thunder."

"I believe you are capable," Ye Hua pulled his lips into a slight smile even as they stepped into the center of the room and into everyone's line of sight, "my Crown Princess Bai Qian."

"Crown Prince Ye Hua and Crown Princess Bai Qian." Di Jun addressed them formally, cutting off whatever whispers they had been about to speak from his highest platform, his height towering over all, "Today, you will each endure 81 bolts of Heavenly Wildfire, as well as 9 bolts of Heavenly Thunder, in order to ascend to the position of the Heavenly Lord and Heavenly Lady."

With a wave of his hand, two trays appeared, each with a block of jade on it, and Ye Hua recognised the one on his left at once. He had seen it in Hao De's study, once or twice, when the former Heavenly Lord had not kept it properly, and now the seal sat right before his eyes, waiting for him to claim it. It's quite ironic, however, Ye Hua thought to himself, That even if I had been presented this seal back then, I would have sacrificed it for Su Su, not knowing that she was supposed to be beside me, receiving the seal of the Heavenly Lady.

"Step forward and take the seal, Ye Hua, Bai Qian." Di Jun continued, his regal tone ringing in their ears, "As you accept the tray, you shall be swearing to govern the Nine Heavens with just and goodness, and never to let our people down into danger. You shall be promising yourself to the duties of the Heavenly Lord and Lady, as well as to the well-being of the people. You shall be promising and understanding that you may not flee, despite the challenges presented, and you shall promise to always think of peace first. Accept the tray, and look upon the seal, before you proceed to prove your courage and capabilities under the trial of the Heavens."