Chapter 23

A/N: Ahhhhhhh I've got an english test tmr :((((

Okay before you read this chapter, please re-read the previous chapter, or I can just say it here in case y'all are lazy to scroll back HAHAHA

So Feng Jiu isn't just his consort but his Queen.

Yeah I know it's rushed but at this point I really dunno so...

And I swear I've got a ton of plots and ideas for the rest of this book but I don't know how to pen them down eeeeeeeee but meanwhile enjoy the story! :D

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

Song Xuan Ren stood in the hall, dressed in majestic colours of red and gold for his coronation. But it wasn't just that. He had specifically arranged for Feng Jiu to marry him as well, and he stood, waiting for the carriage to appear.

Slowly, as everyone watched on, a speck of red appeared from all the way below the stairs, and a small figure moved from inside the carriage, climbing out of it with grace as her golden accessories twinkled like tiny pieces of glitter beneath the sun. 

"Your Highness, the auspicious time is almost near."

"Good."

Song Xuan Ren frowned as he watched the First Prince seemingly whisper something to his henchmen. It was his coronation, and after he had officially received the seal, his brother could no longer do anything to him. So why did it feel like his brother was scheming to get rid of him just before he could be crowned?

He had already known the hunting party the last time had been his brother's trap for him. He had sent for the assassins to be examined, and one of them bore a ring with the tiniest mark of his brother's seal. Had it not been for Xiao Jiu, he would be dead. That was another reason on why he had insisted on Xiao Jiu entering the harem; because if word spread to his brother's ears that Xiao Jiu was the one who had single handedly taken down the assassins and was working as a guard, he most certainly would've schemed to have her dead. However, if she was his consort, it would be harder to rid of her.

"Your Highness." Song Xuan Ren turned back to the stairs at the gentle voice of Feng Jiu, and he smiled at her. Behind her red veil hid a beautiful face that he knew, and Song Xuan Ren offered her his hand, "Xiao Jiu, shall we?"

She accepted it, unusually ladylike for once, and Song Xuan Ren bypassed his brother without a second glance. His father sat beside the throne, nodding with each step Song Xuan Ren took, and when they finally reached the throne, the chancellor cleared his throat, "The auspicious hour has arrived!"

Gently letting go of Feng Jiu's hand, Song Xuan Ren waited for the chancellor to continue, and the man did continue, droning on and on about the conditions of Song Xuan Ren accepting the throne and being a beneficiary king to the common folk.

And finally, he reached the last part.

"First bow to the Heavens and the Earth!"

And Feng Jiu sank to her knees beside Song Xuan Ren, touching her forehead to the ground and lifting it up with great difficulty due to the accessories piled upon her head.

"Second bow to upper ranking family members!"

Song Xuan Ren bowed deeply to his father, who nodded with a heartfelt expression upon his face as he tugged at his beard.

"Third bow; husband and wife bow to each other!"

Feng Jiu turned slowly, watching through her red veil as Song Xuan Ren turned as well, studying her veil as though he could see her face clearly.