Chapter 55

"So we steal the fungal grass. Problem is, Xuan Nü, there's a flaw in your plan." Su Jin drawled, making the Ghost Queen and the Ghost Princess turn back in surprise. "What flaw is there?" Xuan Nü raised an eyebrow impatiently, waiting for Su Jin to point out whatever flaw there was, and the Zhao Ren Princess merely shrugged, "There are three of us. Suppose we retrieve the fungal grass. Who's going to be the one to receive all the power and cultivation?"

"Not you, of course." Xuan Nü rolled her eyes in annoyance, turning away from Su Jin, "Yan Zhi is the best choice. Qing Cang wouldn't attack her first, even if he were to break out of the bell." "Her? I don't trust her." Su Jin sneered, glaring at the Ghost Princess, who kept silent. The Crown Prince had always called Su Jin a little dim, and Yan Zhi could finally see why. Even as much as she claimed that she trusted Yan Zhi, Xuan Nü was obviously not going to risk herself either. By transferring the powers of them both to Yan Zhi under the guise of trusting her, Xuan Nü was actually testing her a step further: to see if Yan Zhi would accept that risk of gaining their powers, and see if the Ghost Princess would then betray them, and choose not to unseal the bell.

"I believe in Yan Zhi." Xuan Nü insisted, a bright smile on a face, although Yan Zhi finally knew of the schemes that laid beneath it, "She will be the one to finally end our glorious plan." She's not wrong...Yan Zhi thought to herself, wondering if Xuan Nü actually knew of her role as a spy and her job to put an end to their scheme. But it was a little too late to be thinking of that - Zi Lan had already sent a letter to the Crown Prince to inform Ye Hua that they were ready to infiltrate the cave on Ying Zhou. That being said, Yan Zhi snapped back to reality, focusing on the ongoing conversation, and Su Jin gave a shrug, "I'm not transferring my powers, anyway. I'm a Celestial, and she's a member of the Ghost Tribe. We would both lapse into Hell, if we were to even attempt transferring powers and cultivation between us. The Divine Fungal Grass only helps that far."

"Suit yourself." Xuan Nü scowled, brushing off the sand as she stood, ready to enter the cave, and Yan Zhi stared dumbfoundedly at her Sao Zi, before her eyes widened in horror, "We are bringing some weaponry with us, right, Sao Zi? Entering the cave without weapons is as good as sending ourselves to Death's door!" "We're not fighting them, Yan Zhi. We sneak in, we grab a Divine Fungal Grass, then we go. If you're really afraid, Yan Zhi, then take your sword with you." Xuan Nü snapped exasperatedly, before she turned to Su Jin, who wore a frightened expression, and that was the end to Xuan Nü's patience: "Honestly, what is up with you two? It's just four beasts!"

"Four beasts? Mind you, Xuan Nü, they're the four most ferocious beasts in existence, made by half of the Father God's powers. I'd rather take my chances to a duel with Di Jun than attempting sneaking past Tao Tie, Qiong Qi, Tao Wu and Hun Dun." Su Jin shuddered, "Because, in the very least, Di Jun would have some mercy." "Are you done whining? You signed yourself up for this, Su Jin. I'm not one of your pretty little maids who has to do your bidding; I'm here to complete my revenge. So if you keep whining, I may as well choose to silence you." Xuan Nü growled, her threat spoken loud and clear, and Su Jin's face paled with fear and such palpable a fury that Yan Zhi didn't dare take another look at the Zhao Ren Princess, but Su Jin kept silent, and Xuan Nü smirked in victory, "Then let us proceed."

Even as the trio entered the cave, with Yan Zhi holding up a blue flame in one hand and a sword in the other, Yan Zhi was hoping Zi Lan was within protection range. She could not see him, for he was under a glamour that kept him invisible, but he had told her to trust him, and she did trust him...with her life. Out of the trio, only Yan Zhi was armed, and she had nothing but a mere sword and some pathetic sword skills she had picked up for fun. At least Zi Lan had trained under Mo Yuan before the God of War had died, and had, heavens bless him, learnt some better defensive skills.