Chapter 19

Drumming her fingers on the wood of her bow, Feng Jiu waited anxiously for the horn to sound. Along with her were a few other archers selected by Di Jun, or rather the Crown Prince, and Feng Jiu was sure to not let Di Jun lose. After all, it was a competition between him and his brother to see who was the better one. By helping him get out of the side lights, she'd have repaid some debt, wouldn't she?

The aim of the competition was to shoot down the most birds, the rarer the better, and Feng Jiu wondered if she could risk using her magic to cheat. But then remembering the backlash of it, Feng Jiu decided to put that plan aside. She'd have to win by her skills, then. 

The horn sounded at last, and Feng Jiu drove her heels into her horse at once, urging it forth. The Crown Prince had already disappeared, and Feng Jiu rushed along quickly on her horse, her bow strung and her arrow nocked and ready to be fired at any moment. 

A pheasant flew overhead as Feng Jiu neared the depths of the forest, and she drew the string at once, skewering the poor wild bird and watching it fall with a thud. Snatching it up, Feng Jiu whispered words of apology as she placed its still warm body into the bag supplied, but even as she felt guilty for hunting for sport, she had to continue.

Another hour passed, and she had successfully caught three peasants and a young hawk. Looking around, Feng Jiu was about to start heading back when she heard a whistle of an arrow, and she quickly ducked, watching as the arrow buried its tip in a tree bark, the shaft quivering. 

Turning back, Feng Jiu caught a figure in black darting away into the trees, and her worry began to double in amount. Who was this man in black? Why had he fired a shot at her, and narrowly missed her head? Confused and anxious, Feng Jiu turned her horse around, following her instincts to find Di Jun at once.

Riding through the trees, Feng Jiu finally caught a gleam of gold, and she turned into the open clearing at once. There was Di Jun, his bow held high, and Feng Jiu blinked as she followed his fixed gaze to the sky. There, circling above him, was a golden eagle, and because he was so focused on the bird, he never noticed that he was surrounded by men in black high up in the trees.

But Feng Jiu did.

And she saw their arrows all nocked and pointed towards Di Jun.

Quickly drawing her bow, Feng Jiu released her arrows, shooting down two of the five at once, and even as the other three shifted to shoot her and Di Jun, she flung her blade, slicing one across his chest and stabbing another in the leg. Just as she leapt into the air and swung her sword at the last archer, he fired his shot, aiming for her, and Feng Jiu felt a sear of pain as an arrow flew into her shoulder, while her blade pinned the man into the tree. 

Another arrow whistled, and Feng Jiu felt her hair clip fall from its place, knocked out of position by an arrow, and even as she fell down from the sky, Feng Jiu noticed that the arrow fired had missed the eagle, and despite her pain, Feng Jiu drew her bow a last time, and fired straight at the bird.

A satisfying thud told her that her arrow had found its mark, and even as she landed painfully back on the ground, dust clouding with her fall, the Crown Prince quickly rushed to her, "Are you okay?!" "Crown Prince...your eagle..." Feng Jiu still ignored her pain, forcefully sitting up to locate the eagle, and even as she stood up to get it, she heard the Crown Prince say the very thing she didn't want him to know.

"You're...a girl?"

Ignoring the Crown Prince for once, Feng Jiu picked up the golden eagle gently, and she held it out for the Crown Prince, "Your Highness, I am just a lowly maid, there is no need to care about my wounds. Please, take your prize." 

"No. You saved my life. I am not ungrateful. Besides, I know they were sent by my brother to assassinate me. You are my saviour, I must repay you." The Crown Prince insisted, and Feng Jiu smiled dryly. How ironic, she was actually the one who came to repay him, and not the other way round. 

"You can repay me by winning the competition." Feng Jiu smiled, handing him both eagle and the sack of her catch, and the Crown Prince offered her a smile, before he climbed back onto his horse, helping her back onto hers, and squeezing his heels on his horse, the Crown Prince rode off, leaving Feng Jiu alone to tie her hair back and ride back to the base.

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

"The Crown Prince wins by a young hawk and a golden eagle!" The eunuch announced, and the king chuckled, glad to see that his younger son had won again, "I am please, Xuan Ren. Very pleased. Your coronation is next month, it's time to pick ladies you desire." 

The Crown Prince, Song Xuan Ren, blushed.

Feng Jiu blinked violently.

Di Jun blushed?!!!!!

The ancient deity, revered by all, actually had times he felt abashed.

Feng Jiu felt giddy as she watched Song Xuan Ren speak to his father.

For once, Di Jun wasn't that cold.

Maybe, he never really was cold?

"Oho, and who is this young lady?" Feng Jiu snapped back when she heard the King chortle with laughter, and her eyes were wide. Did Song Xuan Ren already have a lover?! 

"She's disguised as a man right now, Father. She's the one standing the third from the front in my row. I'm afraid I know nothing about her. But she threw herself at those archers to save me." Song Xuan Ren said humbly, and Feng Jiu felt her face grow warm instantly. 

"Get to know her, son. It might do you good." The king nodded at Feng Jiu approvingly, and Feng Jiu was shocked. Royalty hardly approved of their kind associating with the lower folk. But then again, she caught a glimpse of grey robes by the King's side, and she grinned to herself. Of course. Si Ming was helping her again.

"Then should we dismiss the rest yet?" Xuan Ren bowed, and the king rose, "Give those here five taels of silver each to thank them for their participation. Then they may leave." "Thank you, your Majesty, for your generosity! Long live the king!" The crowd cheered, and Feng Jiu followed quickly, imitating their movements.

Even as the commoners took their leave, Song Xuan Ren approached Feng Jiu, who touched her wound gingerly, and he looked keenly down at her, "May I know what your name is?"

And smiling, Feng Jiu replied softly as she curtsied, finally remembering all her ladylike etiquette and manners,

"Your Highness, my name is Feng Jiu. Bai Feng Jiu. But you may call me Xiao Jiu." 

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

A/N: So...an okayish chapter of DongFeng (I'm too lazy to type out both their names HAHAHA)

Should I continue the next chapter to be DongFeng? Or Bai Qian Ye Hua?

If y'all are up for angst, then it's Bai Qian Ye Hua, and because it's angst I might be able to upload it pretty soon...

If y'all are up for fluff, then yeah it's definitely Dong Hua Feng Jiu, but because it's fluff I definitely need a while...

As always, you guys choose which you want, and comment your choices!!!

Z, out