Chapter 40: Leaving

"Maria, you don't look okay? Do we need to send you back to infirmary?" Jack asked me.

I shook my head no. "I'm just a bit tired. that's all." I lied. Well partly. I was tired, but I also skipped breakfast earlier. I didn't feel like resetting again so soon. 

Jack stared at me for a second, but just sighed. "Well alright Maria, if you say so." 

"I do. But hey," I said looking out the window. "It's such a nice day, let's go to the garden!"

I took his hand and lead him outside to the castle garden. It was my favorite place in the castle, and remined me of home.

"Are you sure it's safe out here? Last time we came here you were attacked!" Jack said yelled.

Oh right. I forgot about that. I think that was three days ago? Or should it be six days ago? I can't tell anymore.

"I'm sure we'll be fine. I have my poison magic, and you have your plant and animal magic. We'll be able to fight them off."

"My magic wouldn't be able to fight off anyone, and your poison magic isn't that great yet."

Was he still insecure about his magic? Didn't we already talk about this? Oh wait, I think that was a day that restarted. 

"You can control animals! You could send in a tiger to kill someone, or a the dogs from the kennels, oh or get a flock of birds to peck someone's eyes out! You're magic is so cool!"

"I-I guess if you put it like that it's. . ." he said. 

"Oh, uh, what I meant to say is that your magic can be useful for protecting me." I said.

"Plus, your magic can do more than just attack, you can grow things too! That's better than any of my magic"

Jack smiled weakly. "I know, it's just that . . . when you were stabbed by Ms. Miller, everyone else attacked them while I just stood, holding your lifeless body, doing nothing."

"You shouldn't feel bad about that Jack. You still he-"

"Miss Bonaparte, the king wishes to speak to you." a messenger said. as he appeared around the bend.

"Oh well, see you later Jack." 

"I'll come with you." he said.

"Your father only whishes to speak with Miss Bonaparte your highness."

"Oh,"

I turned to look at him as I followed behind the messenger. Hopefully he wasn't mad.

I followed the messenger through the confusing and grand halls of the palace. Finally we arrived at the king's office. The messenger left as I opened the door.

"Hello your high-Frederich" I corrected as I walked in. It was just him and Mrs. Silvia .

"Hello Lily, I just needed to talk to you for a moment."

"Uh, sure." I sat down on a chair. "Is it about how much I've been dying lately?"

He nodded. "Yes, I've increased castle security, but it seems that it's still a problem."

"Yeah, I thought that out of the two of us you would've been killed more." I joked.

He smiled. "Oh trust, I've been, stabbed, poisoned, or drowned more times than I count." he said with a chuckle.

"But now it seems that you are the main target of the attacks." Frederich leaned back into his chair.

"The Miller's must really hate me then." I said. "But how do they keep sending assassins if they're locked up?"

"Well, some of the assassins have been traced back to business partners of the Miller's" he explained.

"But some have come from other sources, ones who want you gone for different reasons."

I blinked. "Like what? I don't think I did anything else to deserve death."

 "You don't deserve it. But some think you do for being from another world." Mrs. Silvia said.

"Other people know about it!" I screamed. "I-how!"

"They don't know much, and neither do we." she explained. "But what we do is that a group of people know we are from a different world, and to get rid of us for that reason."

"What-what do we do?" I asked.

"Nothing." Mrs. Silvia shook her head. "We can't stop an enemy we barely know."

"We can only prolong their attacks, that's why I'm sending you home." Frederich said.

"Are you sure?" I asked. It would be nice not to die each day, but I didn't want to leave the boys behind with the mess I made.

He must have seen the look on my face, so he said "Mason and Arthur will be find. They are under the nations best security."

"What about the prince?" I asked. Jack would be disappointed if I left.

"Jack will be fine. In fact, spending some time away might help him get over you." 

I nodded. "Well alright then." 

I turned to Mrs. Silvia. "Will you be returning with me?"

"Yes, but Blake will be staying here to help his friends."

I wasn't surprised by that. For the past week he's been avoiding me. When ever I tried talking to him; he either excused himself or I died and forgot about it. Maybe he'll cool down once I left.

"Well, if that's it. You two need to get packing." We both got up and I opened the door for her.

"Be safe Lily." was the last thing Frederich said to me.