Chapter 32: In the garden with the prince

The rest of breakfast went smoothly, though there still seemed to be tension between Author and Blake. Mason was his usual quiet and slightly creepy self.  Only Jack was tolerable.

"This way to the gardens!" I said as I led them through the halls and out to the garden. 

"These are our roses, which come in twelve different colors! After that is the white dahlias, and daisies!" I said as I walked deeper into the garden. 

"Over there is the sunflower field, which runs along the stream.  Past that is the carnations and the-" I stopped talking as I realized where I was.

The pond was in front of me, the early morning sunlight bouncing off the surface. The water was calm, and it was so still it looked liked a mirror.  I could see my own reflection, and it wasn't pretty. 

"Are you alright Maria? You stopped talking all of a sudden." Jack said behind me.

"Oh." I shock my head, trying to get out the trance. "I'm alight, I just lost my train of thought." I said with a fake smile.

"You don't have to lie to me." Jack said quietly.     

"I-" I faltered again, looking into his eyes. These where the eyes of the prince, the eyes of someone who liked me, the eyes of someone who might kill me one day.

But they were also filled with concern, and I felt safe telling him about what happened. Or a version of it.

"When I was younger, I was playing by the pond. I wanted to go the statue in the center, so I tried swimming in it. But of course, my layered dress made it hard to swim.' I started, trying to fake my emotions.

"I started sinking. I was going to drown to death, if it wasn't for a gardener grabbing me before it was too late."

"Oh Maria, I'm so sorry!" Jack said as he pulled me into a hug. I stiffened as I felt his arms around me, but I hugged him back. 

"You don't have to apologize, you weren't there." I said.

"I know." Jack said, letting go of me. "I need to stop apologizing for things, that's not a good trait for a future king."

"Well  actually, I think that would be a great trait for a ruler. As long as you apologize for something that you actually did, not something you had no control off." I said.

"Really?" he said, brightening up. "Do you think I would make a good king?"

"Uhhh." I said, not expecting that question. "I'm sure you make an excellent king."

"I'm not sure. I've always been told that I'm too dumb to be king, or that my magic isn't strong enough." he said, looking down.

"I think those people are real dumb ones. You have plenty of time to become a great king, plus I think your magic is cool!"

"You think so? I don't know, plant and animal magic isn't as interesting as fire magic, space magic, or even poison magic.

"What, you can do so many things with your magic, you can make plants grow, and control animals! You could keep the kingdom's food supplies from drying up with your plant magic, plus you could always control a large animal to attack a threat, or use smaller animals as spies. Your magic is going to make you an even better king, I'm sure!"

Jack looked back up at me, and his face growing darker with his blush. "Th- thank you!"

"No problem. " I said back. "Now let's go and try to find the others, hopefully their still somewhere in this gardened."