Chapter 51: Poison class

The rest of the morning was a blur. All the normal classes were held in the morning, so there was not much to talk about. Lunch was boring too, though we did get to eat outside in the garden.  

I said goodbye to Scarlet and Theodore, and headed for my next class, poison magic. I'm not going to lie, I was nervous. Arthur had mentioned Mason a few times, but never said anything about him coming to school like he did in the game. 

I came to the classroom door, took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

And waited. And waited, and then waited some more. Did I get the wrong classroom? 

Right before I was going to leave, the door opened and hit me right in the face.

"Ow!" I cried. My hands went to my nose. It was only a bump, but I still went to heal it.

"Oh, I'm sorry for hitting yo-Maria?"

I blinked a couple of times to get the tears out of my eyes. Great, so he really was here.

Mason stood in front of me, looking confused. And a lot cuter than the last time I saw him. He switched the prim and proper look to something more casual. His hair was even a bit disheveled, though one of his eyes was still covered up by it.

"Hi Mason," I said as I lowered my hands. I gave him a smile when he continued to stay silent.

"Um, can I come in?"

He nodded, then grabbed my hand and pulled me inside. Looking around, I noticed that we were the only ones in the classroom. This wasn't going to end well. I took a step back away from him.

"The other's will be here in a minute, our teacher is always shows up late, so everyone does too,"

"Then what are you doing here?"

"This is the best place to practice. I may no longer be an assassin, but I still need to be the best,"

"You're no longer an assassin? But I thought you enjoyed it?"

"I did, but as a prime witness it would look bad if I went around killing people. Plus, I don't think the King would like it if I started doing it again,"

The King? I didn't think Mason would care about his opinion, but they must have worked together on the case.

"Would you like to practice with me?" Mason asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Uhhh, is this just an excuse to try and hurt me?"

"Not . . . 100 percent. I just wanted to see how much you've improved since I've been gone,"

That's probably the best I'm going to get out of him. "Sure, but I'm warning you, I've improved a lot in the past six years,"

Mason gave me his signature smirk. "Oh, I'm sure you have Maria, but I don't think I have to worry too much. I'm no longer an assassin, but that doesn't make me any less dangerous,"

And that's exactly what I feared.