Chapter 38: Awake

I opened my eyes. I felt a sharp pang in my stomach wear I was stabbed. But I shouldn't have been able to feel that. 

I slowly sat myself up. It took a while because of excruciating pain but I once I managed to I looked around the room.

The stones walls were a dazzling white and rows of beds just liked mine lined the walls. I must be in the castle informatory then. Which meant I haven't died.

And apparently I was changed into a white dress. I lifted it up to look at my wound. It was just as ugly as it felt. 

The door opened and let the dress fell back down. It was the King and prince Jack.

"How are you feeling Maria?" Jack asked.

"I've been through worse." I said with a small smile. "I'll get through this."

"I'm glad. I've already sent for Mrs. Silvia to come and speed up your recovery." the Kings said.

I nodded. "Where are the others?" I asked.

"Oh, Mason and Arthur are in questioning on right now. They're the ones who know the most about the crimes that the Miller's have done."

"What about Blake?" I asked.

"Oh, well, he's right over there actually." Jack pointed to a bed surround by a curtain. He pulled it aside and showed a sleeping Blake.

"What happened to him?" I asked. I tried to get up, but I was sent back down because of the pain.

Jack rushed back to my side. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine, just tell me what happened to Blake."

"After you were stabbed, Mason and Arthur pounced on Mrs. Miller. Mr. Miller tried to stop him, but Blake stood in his way. They managed to subdue the Miller's, but Blake got stabbed in the process." Jack explained.   

"Well he be alright?" I asked.

"Soon. I have already sent for Mrs. Silvia to properly heal you two." The King said.

He turned to his son and said. "I would like to speak with Maria for a moment, go."

Jack looked surprised but nodded. He left the room, giving me a concerned look before the door closed behind him.

Frederich sat down on the bed next to be sighed. "So, I assume you were the one who got killed yesterday?

"Yep. Arthur killed me when we were alone together. I guess I can cross off being burnt alive of the death list." I said with chuckle.

"Oh, I crossed that one off long ago. It's might be the worse way to die. Well except being poisoned by a Scarlet Ivy. That was a slow, agonizing death."

I nodded. "What will happened to the Miller's?" 

"Well, right now their both being charged with attempted murder for you and your brother. Once the other two are down with questioning, we'll start a formal investigation."

"Depending on how much we find, we could sentence them to death."  

"Really?"

He nodded. "If all that you have said is true, then yes."

"Now if you excuse me, I have royal duties to attended to. Try to get some rest, alright Lily?"

And with that I was effectually alone again. I sighed. I'll just get some sleep, and hopefully things will be better when I wake up.