Chapter 4: Birthday

"Happy birthday Maria!" Was the first thing I heard when I woke up. All around me were my servants. They had handmade gifts in their hands.

"What's this?" I ask as I got out of bed. 

"Why, we're here to celebrate your birthday!" My nanny Mary said. "Oh right, it's my new birthday, April 16." I thought.

 "Here you go sweetie!" Mary said, handing me her gift. I opened it, and inside was a small woven red bracelet. "Thank you so much! I love it!" I said as I put it on my wrist.

I was given more gifts from my servants. I got a handwoven scarf, a clay teapot, and a small feather pen. I thanked them all, and then was hurried to the dining hall. I was given a huge plate of pancakes for breakfast.

The rest of the day I painted. I had picked it up when I was 2. It was of the only things I could do in this world that I did in my past one. Though back then I painted with watercolor, now I only had oil paint.

I had gotten used to my new life. I had good food, a nice house, and even friends! But I still yearned for my old life. Mostly because of the music. Here, the only type of music I heard was classical music. I got tired of it quickly.

The sun was setting, but I still haven't seen my parents. I knew they ignored Maria in the game, but still, who misses their own child's birthday? No wonder Maria became evil. I yawned and went to change into my nightgown. Mary brushed my hair and took me into bed.

After an hour of waiting, I snuck into the library. I started to go there every night to visit Theodore. He and I would talk for hours, asking each other questions about our lives. He would tell me about his family's farm, and I would tell him about life in the manor.

"Hey! How was your day? Mine was good!" I said as I pulled myself into the basement. Theodore was hiding something behind his back. "What is that?" I asked.

"This is for you, Um, as birthday gift!" Theodore said nervously. He brought out a bouquet of purple flowers. "Purple is your favorite color, right?"

I grabbed the bouquet and smelled it. It smelled sweet. "Thank you so much!" I yelled, giving Theodore a hug. He didn't hug me at first, but he eventually did.

"Now I need to get you something for your birthday! When is it?" I asked pulling away. We continued to talk until Theodore started to yawn. I waved goodbye, and made the journey home.

When I got back to my bedroom, I found a music box on my bed. It was a dark purple with gold highlights. There was a key with a note attached to it. "Hello Lily. I am the God of this world. I am pleased with your work. If you keep doing good, I will reward you again."

If I hadn't met a god and got reincarnated, I wouldn't believe this. But since I did, I put the key into the music box. I turned it and inside was a small ballerina girl. She looked like my old self. Behind her on the lid, was "Turn the key, and say the music you want, and it will play".

I tested to see if it would work, so I played the first thing that came to mine. It was the old lullaby my dad used to sing to me.  I smiled and started to cry tears of joy. I can't wait to show Theodore!