Chapter 31: Early Morning

I woke up with a yawn. I blinked a couple of times before all of last night came to me. It was still hard to imagine that it all happened, and then it hit me.

"I forgot to talk to Theodore!" I scrambled out of bed and looked at the clock. "It's only 6:30 a.m., so I should have enough time to try to visit him." I thought.

I ran down the halls to the library, but then stopped. "I should find a way to make it up to him. I know! I'll go get some sweets, Theodore loves those!" I thought, and than ran to the kitchen.

When I opened the door, only the chef and a few servants were there. "Excuse me," I asked "I need some cakes for a friend, or at least some bread."

"Of course Lady Maria, but may I ask why you need a cake this early in the morning?" the chef asked me.

"Oh, uh." I blushed. "I need one for a friend." I answered.

"Hmm, could would of those friends be one of the visiting boys?" he teased as he grabbed a cake from an enchanted freezer. I didn't say anything, it was better to let him believe that than the truth.

He placed it in a basket, and sent me on my way. I ran down the halls and into the library. I opened the secret passage, and ran inside. I forgot a candle, so I was running in the dark. I kept going until I finally arrived to the ladder.

By the time I got up there, I was out of breath. I took a moment to calm down, before I climbed up the ladder to the house.

When I opened the trap door, I only saw his mother and younger sister, Alice. "What are you doing here?" his mother asked.

"I forgot to visit Theodore last night. I came here to apologize." 

"He and pa are out in the field. But I can tell him for you." Alice said.

"Oh, that would be wonderful! Thank you!" I said before placing the basket on the floor. "This is for Theodore too. Bye!" 

I took my time my on the walk back home. When I arrived back to my room, I crashed on the bed. "I think I'll just take a little nap." I thought before I closed my eyes. 

When I woke back up, Linda was hovering over me. "Maria, you are needed for breakfast." she said.

I groaned, but I let her wake me up. She brushed my hair, and left when I got dressed in a simple purple dress. Since I've gave Mr. March the formula, he's been making me purple dress in different shades to experiment.

I walked down the hall to breakfast, and found everyone waiting for me. They all turned to look at me.  

"Uh, good morning. Did I miss something?" I asked as I sat down between Author and Jack.

"We were just talking about our plan for the day. I was thinking we could show everyone around the garden." Blake said from across from me.

"But Maria said I could show her around around the hidden tunnels." Author said back.

"When did she say that? Plus I don't want to go back into those retched tunnels again." Blake said. They got into a staring contest, until I spoke up.

"Let's go explore the garden during the day, so we can see it in it's full glory. After dinner, I can go explore the tunnels with Author, would that seem fair?" I asked.

They both reluctantly nodded, and I gave a smile. "Good, now let's eat breakfast, cause I'm starving!"