Chapter 26: Kitchen Chaos

We all snuck into the kitchen. Or well, we tried, it's kinda hard to sneak into places with four other people. But I had a plan.

After Mason,  Author, and Blake were kicked out, I told them of my plan. "I'm going to distract the chef, then you guys will sneak in." I went into the kitchen without another word.

"Hello chef, I'm just here to check up on supper, how is it going?" I asked with a fake smile.

"Ah, tonight Miss Maria we will be having roasted duck along with some raspberry sauce. Though of course we can change it if you wish." he chef.

"Oh, no thank you, it sounds very delicious. But I was hopping to help you in some way." I said.

"Are you sure Miss Maria, I know you like to help but-" the chef started before I said, "I am positive. Now tell me what I need to do."

And so the chef walked me through the process of roasting a duck, I finally saw the boys sneak into the kitchen. It took them a while till someone found the secret entrance. Jack managed to  stumble upon it after knocking over a bag of grain. 

"Aye you boys! I told you stay out of my kitchen!" the chef said, running after them with a frying pan, leaving me along with the still roasting duck. He ran after them all around the kitchen, but they all managed to slip into the entrance, which closed shortly after. I was too busy watching the chaos to notice the duck was burning. 

"Ahh!" I screamed, alerting the chef and other servants to me. The chef garbed the duck away from the fire, and threw it away. 

"I'm so so sorry. I didn't mean to-" I stared to apologize, but was cut off by the chef with a sigh. 

"No, I am the one who should apologize, I shouldn't have left you alone with the duck. I'm sorry." he said looking at the ground.

"Don't be to hard on yourself, you were just trying to get those pesky boys out of your kitchen. I'm going to find them and make them apologize." I said.

The chef smiled. "You don't have to do that Miss Maria, it's alright."

I shook my head. "No, I'm going to catch them for you. Plus this gives me a chance to explore the secrets of the manor." I said as I reopened the hidden entrance, after hitting the right stones.  

Then my stomach grumbled. "But I could use a snack for my trip." I said sheepishly.