Chapter 21

"Perfect." I smile, smoothing out the wrinkles in my dress.

I step out of the closet with a pair of sandals in hand. I place the shoes at the foot of the bed, then head back in search of jewelry. I clasp Jason's bracelet around my wrist before reaching for the silver locket sitting on the jewelry tree. I run my thumb over the smooth metal, opening the tiny compartment to expose both a picture of me and Jason's step mom, Catherine.

This locket is the only thing Jason has left of the woman who raised him. He gave it to me as a present during our first Christmas as a married couple. He bragged of how proud she'd be of me, and how she would want me to have the locket. It's my most prized piece of jewelry behind Jason's bracelet.

The necklace settles around my neck, and I exit the closet with hands set lightly on my stomach. I lower myself onto the bed, reaching down to lace my sandals.

"Today's the day!" Stephanie sings as she bounds into the room, Roy following behind her.

"It is." I smile as I stand. Roy instantly reaches for my hand, helping me gain my balance as I push myself up.

"White?" He ask, taking notice of my dress color.

I nod. "I don't care what the baby is as long as he or she is healthy."

"That is extremely cliche." Roy notes.

"Pink and blue?" I say, taking my own jab at Roy's choice in clothing.

"So either way I'm correct." He smirks. "But in all seriousness, what are you hoping for?"

I smile as I turn to face my vanity, running a finger under my eyes to clear away stray mascara. I look myself in the eyes and smile at the glow that illuminates me. I ponder Roy's question for moment. I know I would be happy with either a son or daughter just as long as they were happy and healthy, but I think a daughter would be good for both Jason and I. She would provide a calm stability in our lives, forcing us to slow down and really consider the weight of our actions. A boy with Jason's genes would be jumping off rooftops before he could even recite his Abc's.

I turn back towards Roy, and he stares at me with curiosity. "A girl." I smile.

"It's definitely a girl." Stephanie chimes in. She walks towards me, her pink silk skirt billowing softly.

Stephanie runs her fingers through the front of my hair, styling a few strands to sit lazily poised. She grins at me, but her eyes gleam with a light disappointment.

"I'm sorry Jay couldn't be here." She says lightly. She's afraid to tread on my emotions, especially on a day like today.

I smile at her. "Actually-"

"Who the hell said anything about me not being here." Jason intervenes as he shuffles out of the bathroom, buttoning the last few buttons on his shirt.

"Jason?" Stephanie flinches back in surprise.

"When did you get home?" Roy ask, chuckling through the question.

"Early this morning." Jay responds. He begins rolling the sleeves of his right arm. I take his left arm, helping him.

He places a soft kiss on my lips as a thank you, then turns to face his friends. Roy extends his arms to Jason, squeezing him tightly.

"I'm glad you're here." Stephanie kisses his cheek in greeting.

"Of course, I wouldn't dare miss the look on Bruce's face when we prove it's a girl." Jason replies, referring to the running bet between him and his father.

"So far that's four for team girl." Roy notes as we all head for the door.

The four of us walk down the hallway towards the back gardens. Cassandra falls into step beside us, her frame clad in in a pale blue t-shirt and black jeans. She smiles widely as she notices her brother and wraps a tight arm around him. They continue the rest of our journey linked together.