Chapter 20

Back to Lucy's POV

"So sorry I'm late. You know how complicated two year olds can be." Janet apologizes as she places herself in the seat across from me.

I giggle at her disorganization. "It's fine."

"Anyway, how are you, Mama?" Janet ask, taking a deep breath and gulping down her water.

I laugh at her nickname. "I'm good."

"Pregnancy is treating you well I hope?" Janet smirks.

"The morning sickness has pretty much stopped, and I've become more or less adjusted to all my other current symptoms. I'm doing well, I can't complain." I answer.

"Oh, I'm so glad. I'm so excited for you!" Janet exclaims, brushing gets long dark hair over her shoulder. "Have you told Gotham?"

"Not officially." I reply. "Plenty of rumors have been circulating, and Jason and I haven't exactly been trying to stop them, so many people have their minds made up. But I have an interview tonight to give the official announcement."

Janet nods along to my words. She smiles as I tell her about gender reveal plans and slide an invitation into her hands. We laugh as she jokes about all the gifts she plans to buy.

"When is your 16 week ultrasound?" She ask, taking a bite of her salad.

"Tomorrow." I reply with a bright smile. She smiles excitedly. "How's Emma?" I ask.

Janet's fork immediately stops moving, and she stiffens. She stares at me for moments on end with wide eyes.

"Janet?" I question, my hand reaching out for her, wanting to pull her from whatever nightmare she just entered.

"Sorry," she shakes her head, clearing her daze, "it's just...Emma's father is back in the picture." She sighs.

I blink in surprise, remembering all the the things Janet had told me about her ex. How he had abandoned her, never taken any time to care about her or his daughter.

"It's a disaster." She huffs, running her hands down her face. "I'm happy Emma finally gets to meet her dad, but there's a custody battle now, and he has a new girlfriend, who I don't want around my daughter, and his parents finally know, and they are calling me nonstop trying to give me money and gifts and offering to take care of Emma. They're trying to make up for the fact that their son's a neglectful ass, as well as for all the time they missed with their first grandchild. It's a lot, especially with the stress of senior year."

"Janet,...I..." I attempt to find the right words.

She gives a breathy laugh. "Don't worry, I wouldn't know what to say either."

I smile at her ability to find some humor. "Well, I may not be able to offer any wise words, but I can extend actions. If you ever need me, don't hesitate to find me. I'll always be here for you." I take her hand.

"That boy is really lucky to have you." She replies. "And that baby is really lucky to have such a compassionate and loving mother. You're going to be an amazing mom." Janet clasp my hand.

I blush at the compliment. I find tears prick the edges of my eyes as Janet gives me the assurance I had been missing over the past couple of weeks with Jason away.

"I'm still going to need lots of help, though." I laugh, brushing tears sways from my face.

"And I will be sure to answer every three am phone call. Emma and I won't be asleep anyway." Janet teases. "Now, let's get you something to eat. You and Baby T must be starving."