Chapter 5

The bright lights of the city smear together as the limo speeds down the Gotham streets. Kody sits beside me, her face twisted in an uncomfortable expression. Kat sits to her other side, running a comforting hand up and down her arm. Across from us, her parents sit with their hands laced tightly. They smile big smiles at their eldest daughter. Melody and Marcus sit frozen with their eyes trained on their older sister.

I pull lightly at the fitted sleeves of my dress before straightening the diamond necklace resting on my chest.

"Kordelia, sweetheart, you look lovely." Kody's father compliments, causing her face to scrunch as she cringes.

"Thank you, Father." Kody manages to choke out, despite her obvious discomfort.

It's true. Kody does look stunning in her fitted, long sleeve, dark blue dress. Her leg sits slightly extended, highlighting the slit running up her thigh. The silver heels and jewelry compliment her well, and her dark locks have been pulled back into a sleek ponytail.

Her mother smiles before turning to Melody fluffing the tulle of her pink dress.

"It's fine, Mom." Melody shrugs away from her mother.

"Just let me fix this one thing." Her mother insist, hands extending towards Melody.

"Really, Mom, it's ok." She inches away.

"Melody Christine." Her father warns, turning to face his daughter.

Melody shrinks down, slight fear evident in her eyes. Kody stiffens beside me, more than uncomfortable. This must bring up bad memories. The car goes silent. Besides Marcus, all of us keep our attention on Melody

"Oh, look, we're here." He says, stealing the attention off of his sister.

Melody breathes a tiny sigh, reaching for her brother's hand and squeezing it as a 'thank you'. Kody relaxes as well. Her parent's focus has shifted to the large crowd of press outside our windows. Upon noticing our arrival, every camera instantly focuses on our limo, leaving us all blinded.

"Who are these people?" Kody ask, becoming overwhelmed.

"Mostly blog writers, who like to obsess over every little thing we socialites do." Kody's mother giggles.

Kody bites her lip, exchanging a nervous glance with Kat and me. We shuffle towards the car door, leaning to look out the window.

Suddenly the door opens, sending me and the others towards the concrete. I yelp before a hand wraps around my arm, clutching it hard in order to keep me from falling.

"Woah, there." A masculine voice as I'm pulled from the limo. I stand quickly, brushing out the skirt of my dress and recovering from the humiliation of nearly face planting. "I'm sorry. Are you hurt?" The voice continues.

I cast my eyes up, locking gazes with a pair of light hazel orbs. My eyes continue to take in the person in front of me. I settle first on a mop of wavy, dirty-blonde hair, then my eyes focus on the faces rounded jaw. Finally, I find myself staring at a small figure clad in a pair of khaki pants and dark blue dress shirt.

"No, I'm fine. Thank you." I respond. Kody and Kat come to stand beside me, causing the boy to step back.

"Oh, good! I'm glad you all are going ahead and getting acquainted." Kody's mother smiles.

"Oh, Esmeralda, they're are gorgeous!" A feminine voice exclaims as a woman with short dirty-blonde hair appears beside the boy. Three more men follow behind her.

"You're too kind, Fiona!" Kody's mother laughs, throwing her arms around the woman.

"Ted, how wonderful it is to see you again." Kody's father is greeted by the older looking man.