Chapter 12

Jason's POV

I fall into bed with a satisfied and relieved smile. I sigh contently as I adjust myself on the pillows. I feel free. I feel like Lucy and I can finally get back on the same page. I know she's not thrilled at the idea of me joining a new team. I could see it on her face no matter how hard she tried to cover it up. However, I know she realizes the importance of me doing this. This will give me not only the boost I need in the Underground but also a chance to help correct some of the world's evil. Crime and disaster stretch farther than Gotham, and if we truly want to achieve peace and security, the heroes need to stretch further as well.

I'm broken from my haze of thoughts as Lucy emerges from the bathroom. She runs a towel through her damp hair, her face twisted in some sad emotion. Disappointment? Fear? Defeat? She gives a small huff, dropping the towel into the laundry hamper, then heads for the vanity. She doesn't bother making eye contact with me. She's upset, it's more than obvious.

"Now you know the truth. Do you trust me again?" I begin the conversation hesitantly, leaning on my side to get a better view of my wife.

Lucy's shoulders tense at the words, and she stops running the brush through her wet hair. She takes a moment to respond as she calms herself.

"I always trusted you, Jay." She whispers. Her voice quivers, and it sounds as though she's holding back a waterfall of tears.

My eyebrows knit together. I knew she'd be upset about the new team, but I didn't think she'd be this upset. I knew it would take a day or two for the shock of this to wear off, but once it did, I was sure she would be happy, that she would understand. Now, I'm not so sure.

Lucy runs her fingers through her hair, splitting her locks into sections, then braiding them together. I watch her as her fingers glide nimbly through her hair, creating a beautiful hairstyle that compliments her in every way. After completing the braid, she reaches for a red scrunchie, looping it tightly around the end of her hair. I smile at her, at her perfection. She's beautiful, she always has been. Everyday I fall deeper in love with her. I didn't think it was possible to love someone this much, but she proves me wrong everyday. I really will miss her when I'm away, but at the same time, all of this is for her. So we can have a better life, a safer life.

Lucy stands and makes her way over to the bed, crawling into her spot. I expect her to wrap herself around me, but instead she curls into a ball and buries herself beneath the covers.

I sink underneath the covers myself, feeling nothing but complete confusion and slight worry. She's never acted this way. Is this really that big of a deal?

"Goodnight?" I say gently, my voice questioning rather than sincere.

"Goodnight." Lucy chokes out, her body turning away from me, and her arm stretching out to turn out her bedside light.

I lay down, yet continue to stare at Lucy's hidden form through the dark. I can't sleep. I don't want to, not until I find out why she's unsettled by all of this. Maybe it has something to do with her health. She's been so sick recently, it's beginning to truly worry me. Suddenly, I'm filled with my first doubtful thought about this new team. What if something happens to Lucy, and I'm not here? What if by the time I get here, it's too late? I would never forgive myself if anything of that nature occurred.

I reach over, turning on my bedside lamp and earning an agitated whimper from Lucy. She turns to face me, her eyes still closed as she avoids the light.

"What are you doing? Go to bed." She whispers, nudging me to turn off the light.

"Not until you tell me why you don't approve of this. Lucy, what's going on with you? You're scaring me. I'm starting to think I'm not the only one who was keeping secrets." I say.