Chapter 3

Kody's POV
(Three chapters in, and we're already at a change up!)

My finger absentmindedly traces the rim of my coffee cup as Stephanie drones on about today's agenda. My eyes focus on the rippling of the brown liquid before moving to concentrate on the couple sitting across from me. I take in a deep breath as I watch Jason and Lucy listen intently to Steph's plans. I take note of how close their chairs are, how their fingers sit lazily intertwined, how Jason sits near to Lucy, his posture insisting that he's ready to protect her at a moments notice. I notice how Lucy whispers a comment in Jason's ear, earning her a smirk as well as a hushed reply. She giggles quietly before bringing her free hand up and running it along Jason's arm. He smiles and softens at the gesture.

Everything about them screams devotion, loyalty, love. They're a perfect example of what a happily married couple should look like. They are what I hope Dick and I will look like once we're married. Lucy is the type of wife I strive to be. She's honest, supportive, caring. She doesn't chastise Jason for his choices or remind him of his failures. She picks him up when he falls and encourages him to keep going when he feels weak. She's the perfect wife.

"Kody, how does that sound?" Steph's voice interrupts me from my thoughts.

I shake my head, blinking myself from my daze. I notice that all eyes have fallen on me, including Lucy's. She looks slightly concerned but also sympathetic.

"I'm sorry. What were yo-" I begin, but I'm quickly cut off.

"I think all of us might be too much, Steph. We've all done nothing but swarm Kody since the moment she and Dick got engaged. I believe only one of us should take her to lunch today. I volunteer myself." Lucy says, both catching me up on the situation and saving me from it.

"But we all need to be there. She needs our support." Stephanie argues.

"I agree. But who better than to give the bride-to-be advice than a previous bride. From personal experience, tell me the first thing you know about getting married or being a wife." Lucy counters.

"She's right, Steph. We don't know the first thing about marriage." Barbara nods. Kat and Cassandra quickly agree.

"Alright, fine. I could use a break anyway." Stephanie sighs, earning a glare and a few confusing glances from everyone else.

Stephanie sinks down into her chair and a casual buzz appears as we all wait patiently for breakfast. My eyes can't help but drift back to Lucy and Jason. I notice how Lucy's hands have repositioned themselves back to their previous positions. Jason's face sits mere inches away from her's as he smirks down at her. His lips move, uttering muted words. She focuses on him, her own smirk playing on her face, her eyes glittering with adoration. Again I can't help but feel as sense of expectation come over me as I watch them.

"Are you alright, babe?" Dick's familiar voice fills my ears, startling me.

"Yes, yes, of course. Just exhausted. Who knew planning a wedding was going to be so much work?" I joke, letting a trill of nervous laughter out.

Dick raises a concerned and skeptical eyebrow. He opens his mouth, prepared to ask if I'm really ok, but I quickly stop him.

"I'm fine, Dick. Really, you don't have to worry." I try comforting him. He nods, his facial expression telling me that he doesn't believe me at all, but he'll let it go...for now.

I let out a quiet groan, realizing that what I did is exactly the opposite of what a good wife would do. I need to be honest with Dick, trust him with all of my concerns. And I do. I just don't want to hurt his feelings or make him feel as though his doing something wrong. He's not the problem. I am.