Chapter 15

I swallow hard as I enter the damp, dark lobby of Arkham Asylum. The chemicals invade my nose, twisting my stomach, and threatening to make my lunch make a reappearance. I walk towards the bustling front desk, stopping as I come upon the wooden table.

"Lucy? We weren't expecting you." The receptionist looks up from her computer.

"Sorry, I should have called, but I really need to see my mom." I say.

The receptionist nods, and punches a few keys on her keyboard. "You're checked in. She'll be happy to see you."

I thank her quickly, then turn away just as a doctor appears, shoving various files into her hands. I walk silently down the eerie halls of Arkham, glancing at each cell door and reading the names like I have hundreds of times before. I freeze as I find myself passing my father's door. I stare at it for a moment, and a chill runs through my body. I know he's not behind the cold metal. I don't know where he is at all. He escaped Belle Reve after being there for a little over 72 hours. He disappeared after that. No one has seen him in months. With the recent changes, I can't help but be on edge, constantly fearing that he'll come back, but I try not to dwell on it too much.

I shake free of my daze and continue down the hall until I get to my mother's door. I place my hand on the door, taking a breath before entering.

"Lucy!" Mom exclaims as soon as I enter.

I smile and place myself on the cold, concrete floor in front of my mother's glass barrier. "Hi, Mom."

"I missed ya. Oh, ya look so beautiful." My mother gushes, setting herself in position across from me.

I blush and duck my head. Hearing compliments like those come from my mother never fails to send a warm wave through me. "You're in a good mood." I say, trying to shift the attention off myself.

"Oh, I am! I'm so glad you're here! I have big news!" My mother giggles.

"I have news too." I say.

For a moment, this feels normal. I don't feel as though I'm surrounded by concrete walls and surveillance cameras. I don't feel as though my mother and I are separated by protective plexiglass or that she is dressed in the orange jumpsuit that marks her a psychotic threat to society. For a moment, I feel as though my mother and I are sitting in my bedroom, both of us bursting with gossip. I can see it. The two of us climbing into my bed with ice cream and information. I can see myself curling into her side as I tell her everything. I can hear her chuckle as I rant about my insignificant problems. I can see us both eventually drifting off to sleep hours later, still wrapped tightly around one another. That's how it would go. That's how it used to go with Aunt Kathleen.

"Alright, me first." Mom shifts slightly, and I raise my eyebrows in anticipation. "I'm getting out." Mom smiles.

My mouth falls open in absolute shock, and I let out a breathy exclamation. My heart beats fast as I expect her to say the words that tell me she's joking, but they never come.

"You're serious?" I whisper, still not quite believing it's true. Mom nods.

I laugh happily as one of my hands flies to cover my mouth. My mother laughs at my happiness, but her laugh quickly dies, and she goes quiet.

"Honey, ya're crying." She notes quietly with a soft smile on her face.

It's in this moment that I notice the stream of tears falling down my cheeks. I sniffle, cursing my pregnancy hormones for the overdramatic reaction.

My hands rise towards my face, and I brush the tears and snot away with my palm. "I just never thought this day would come. I've missed you so much."