Chapter 11

I smile as I pack the last onesie into a box, adding a pink satin bow as the finishing touch.

"All done?" Stephanie ask from her vanity. She spins towards me, her hairbrush gliding smoothly through her golden locks.

"Yep. That was the last one." I lean over the multiple, identical gift boxes, counting each one.

Tonight is the night. I'm telling Jason as wells as the rest of the family that in seven months we'll be adding a new member to our ever growing family. Part of me is beyond excited, but the other part of me feels sick at the idea of all of this. I still don't know what Jason has been up to at the Pier. I don't know how telling him about the baby will affect everything, will affect us. Part of me thinks Jason won't want the baby. Despite what we agreed to months ago, I feel as though he won't take this as easily as he tried to convey. Of course, I know he'll have his doubts due to his own childhood and parental experiences, I have mine, but what about the doubts and fears that come along with whatever he's gotten himself into. I take a deep breath and try to focus on the positives of tonight.

"Don't worry. Everyone is going to be over the moon when they find out. That includes Jason." Stephanie smiles encouragingly.

I smile back, giving her a soft nod as a thank you. "Come on, let's get these downstairs." I began collecting boxes into my arms.

Stephanie stands, gathering her own collection of gifts before following me out of her bedroom. We walk swiftly and silently through the manor, careful not to draw attention to ourselves. I don't notice I'm holding my breath until I reach the kitchen and release a large, relieved puff. Stephanie and I drop the gift boxes onto the large, marble counter, gaining Alfred's attention.

"Oh, Miss Stephanie, Ms.Lucy. What have you got there?" Alfred turns away from his dinner preparations and towards the large pile we just dumped in his presence.

I turn to Stephanie and she turns to me. We both wear large, goofy smiles, our eyes gleaming with mischief. I can feel myself ready to burst with the news, but I remain calm as I fish out Alfred's gift.

"Gifts." I state, wrapping my hand firmly around Alfred's box. I bring it to my chest, straightening out its baby blue bow, then I extend it to Alfred.

He looks taken aback by the extended present, but takes it regardless. He smiles at the delicate decoration, then begins unknot it gently.

"Any special occasion?" Alfred asks as he places the blue ribbon on the counter, then begins to take the lid off the box.

"Nothing too special." Stephanie answers. "Lucy received some good news, and she figured she'd share it with the rest of the family."

Alfred keeps his gaze locked on the present, but I notice his eyebrow cock curiously despite his ducked head. I watch in burning anticipation as he peels back the white tissue paper, finally revealing his gift. He gingerly picks up the small onesie, looking intently at its design. His face instantly breaks into a smile, and he chuckles happily. I let out a tiny giggle. Next, Alfred's hand retreats back into the box, then reemerges with my sonogram pictures. He looks them over with a proud and happy smile, slight tears welling in his eyes. I can feel myself getting emotional as well.

"Really?" Alfred asks, turning to me and holding up both the onesie and the pictures.

I nod, bringing my hands to a clasp in front of me. Alfred chuckles, dropping the box but holding tightly to its contents. He walks towards me, his arms extending to embrace me. I fall into him laughing. We pull away, then stand for a moment, looking over the onesie with its cute butter's uniform design. Then, we move onto the picture. I smile as I point out the baby, then explain to Alfred the sound of the heartbeat. How it was the most perfect sound I had ever heard. How it had filled me with life in more than one sense.