Chapter 7

Kody's POV

Lucy hums quietly from across the room, her voice stronger than ever, and the last remnants of her bruises fading from existence. She smiles to herself as she pulls various makeup and hair products from the trunks beside the vanity. I sit completely still watching as she gracefully moves throughout the room, wondering if I'll take on the same refined air she carries once I'm married.

"Are you not excited?" A quiet voice startles me out of my thoughts.

I turn to find Melody creeping silently towards me. She ducks her head upon noticing that she has scared me and tucks a piece of brunette hair behind her ear.

"Of course, I'm excited." I smile towards her, but I can tell it's a tense smile. One that is only used when required. 

"Are you sure? You look tense?" She replies. "You and Marcus make the same face. Your eyebrows scrunch up, and your eyes take on this cloudy gleam, and then your lips pinch together." Melody begins to chuckle slightly as she recounts the aspects of our brother.

I listen intently to her, noticing how familiar this face is. How easily it has been passed down to each sibling. "Ben used to make the same face." I smile. "I wish he was here today."

Melody stares at me, slightly taken aback. She doesn't know what to say. She never knew our older brother, only the stories and lies our parents told her. But I had been trying these last couple weeks to help my siblings see the truth behind our family.

Melody stands for a second longer before taking my hands in her's startling me slightly.

"I may not have known Ben, but based on what I've learned, I can say without a doubt that he would be so proud of you. He loved you so much, I know he did. And he's here with you today, smiling brighter than anyone else." My little sister comforts me.

I smile back to her, pressing a kiss to her forehead. I find myself in awe of how close my sister and I have become over the past couple of weeks. Despite just meeting one another, I feel as though my sister and I have spent our entire lives together. I trust her more than I thought I would, and I realize I'm willing to do more for her than I thought possible. I feel as though I can protect her in a way I couldn't Ben. I feel as though I can keep her from ending up like him or me. I can help her keep some of her innocence, she doesn't have to end up as fucked up as I am.

I bring a hand up to cup my little sister's cheek. "Thank you." I whisper.

The door to my bridal suite burst open beside us, causing Lucy, Melody, and I to jump, but I quickly begin laughing as I notice Stephanie dance her way through the door, the wedding excitement evident on her face. Lucy giggles as Steph takes her hands and spins her in a circle. Then, Stephanie turns to me, her out stretched hands forcing me up so that they can wrap around me. I smile into the hug.

"I just checked on the boys. They're getting ready, so we should get started." Artemis says, appearing from behind Barbara and making her way towards me. "How about it? Are you ready to become Mrs.Grayson?" Artemis cocks a smug eyebrow.

I bit my lip as I look into the hopeful faces of each person. I'm hesitant, it's obvious. But at the same time, I need this. I want this.

"Yes." I reply. "I'm ready to get married."

—————Time Skip—————

I sit completely still as Lucy paints on the last layer of red lipstick.

"There." She beams, stepping away and setting the lipstick on the vanity counter.

"Absolutely gorgeous." Artemis nods.