Chapter 16

"Ready?" Dina ask as I step out of the car.

"Yep. Thanks for coming today." I reply.

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't have missed this for the world." She smiles.

Those words hit hard within me, and I find myself slightly saddened. Jason should be here. I wish he was here.

"Hey, it's ok." Dina comforts, walking back towards me after realizing that I'm not following her.

"I wish he was here." I mumble.

"I know." She sighs. "I wish he was here too. It would make you happy, and you deserve to be happy right now. But don't focus on him, focus on this little miracle right here." Dina bends down to acknowledge my stomach, her voice going sappy.

I giggle, forcing her back up. We share another laugh before walking through the doors of the hospital.

"So remind me again what we're looking for today." Dina says, pressing the button that will take us to third floor. It illuminates under her touch.

"We just want to make sure the baby is developing correctly. See if he or she has a strong heartbeat. That's all." I reply.

Dina and I exit the elevator, making our way through the quiet halls until we reach Dr.Leslie's suite. We push open the door, instantly greeted by the smell of medicine and many other pregnant women. They each seem to be in their own daze, completely ignoring me, but I quickly try to quiet the few that do recognize me. Jason and I haven't been too careful about hiding my pregnancy as I am still wearing tight fitting clothing despite my growing stomach, and neither of us have confirmed or denied the pregnancy rumors that we used to quickly discredit. But we didn't exactly want Gotham finding out the truth from some blabber mouth news source, not without all the facts. We plan to tell Gotham officially after I hear the results of today's appointment.

"Ah, Mrs.Todd. Here you go, love. Fill out that paperwork and the doctor will be with you in just a minute." The nurse smiles, handing me a clipboard.

I collect the papers in my hand, settling into an empty seat with Dina beside me. She pulls out her phone while I finish the paperwork and hand it back to the nurse. Dina and I sit talking quietly until my name is called.

"Lucy." Dr.Leslie smiles.

Dina and I rise from our seats, following her deeper into the office.

"How are you, dear?" Dr.Leslie ask, opening the door to the examination room.

"I'm doing well. The morning sickness has calmed down, but the migraines are still an issue." I explain, hoisting myself onto the examination table and extending my arm towards Dr.Leslie.

She nods along as she jots down my blood pressure. Then, she picks up the thermometer, sticking it under my tongue.

"And Dad still isn't with us?" Dr.Leslie notes.

"He actually just started at a new job. He's on a business trip." I explain.

"Well, I hope he will be able to join us soon." She responds. "But anyway, Lucy, you are in perfect health. Now, let's get a look at the munchkin."

I nod as the lights dim, and I lean back in the chair. Dina moves closer to me, her face bursting with excitement as she grasps my hand tightly. I smile at her, then use my other hand to bunch my shirt until it rest just beneath my chest. Dr.Leslie squirts the gel on my stomach before grabbing her wand and beginning to spread it around.

The room is silent besides the quiet hum of the screen as Dr.Leslie searches for my baby. A sudden knock at the door grabs everyone's attention, and instantly Dr.Leslie pauses her search and makes her way towards the door. Despite the fact that I'm sure the visitor will not be able to see me, I still attempt to cover myself.