Chapter 17

My hands tremble, and I clasp them together tightly in order to stop the motion. I bite my lip, staring out the window, then down at my stomach, then over at Jason, then back out the window. I breath in and out, trying to calm my quickening heart rate. As the city disappears behind me, I grow more and more nervous.

A warm hand takes my tiny one, wrapping its fingers around my skin and squeezing comfortingly.

"Don't be nervous." Jason says, his eyes still trained on the road ahead.

"I know. I'm trying, but...this is a big day. A day I never thought I'd see. Do you think she can do it?" I ask.

"Do what?" He asks.

"Interact with society. Not lose her mind. Not give any reason to go back." I answer.

"Lucy, Harley is genuinely ready to give this a try. She's ready to be apart of your life and her grandchild's life. That alone is enough motivation and reason to keep her out of trouble. You have nothing to worry about." He replies, lifting my hand to his mouth and placing a kiss upon my knuckles.

"You're right. Of course you're right. I'm stressing for nothing." I shake my head, trying to calm my thoughts. "Thank you for coming with me today."

Jason's eyes flick over in my direction, and he catches a brief glimpse of me. "I couldn't imagine being anywhere else." He smiles.

I smile back before twisting in my seat to look out the rear windshield. Aunt Selina's Porsche follows us steadily.

"Do you think my mom and Ivy will try again?" I ask, turning back around.

"Do you want them to?" Jason answers with another question.

"If it will make my mom happy, then of course. But my input shouldn't matter." I reply.

"But it will...a lot. Harley's main reason for getting out is you. She's going to be thinking really carefully about the things she does, especially if they effect you in any way." He explains.

"But I want her to be able to live her life. Enjoy her freedom." I sigh.

"And she will." Jason soothes, running a light thumb over the back of my hand. "But she'll do it the same way you do now, with her child in mind."

I nod in agreement, acknowledging the truth. Just because I've grown up, gotten married, and am about to start my own family doesn't mean I'm not my mother's child. I'll always be her child, and she will always be sure to consider me when making decisions. That was a vow she, and millions of other women, had made when she became a mother. It's a vow I myself have made.

We pull into the Arkham gates moments later, and I find myself already unbuckling my seatbelt.

"You know, I can stop the car? She's not going anywhere." Jason teases.

I turn to him and stick out my tongue, earning a round of chuckles. The car comes to a halt a few feet away from the grand staircase, and I crawl out not even seconds afterwards, followed closely by Aunt Ivy. I hear Aunt Selina let out a laugh of mock disapproval.

Aunt Ivy and I come to the foot of the stairs just in time to watch the large doors begin to open. I notice my hands have started shaking again, more violently this time, and I place them on the underside of my small stomach, clutching tightly to the fabric of my shirt. Jason appears beside me, wrapping an arm around my waist and setting a hand on my belly before turning his attention to the doorway.

I take in a breath as my mother emerges at the top of the staircase, flanked by two large guards and followed by two of her doctors. She smiles upon seeing me. I notice her try to break from her group early, but the guard to her left blocks the escape by giving a light flick of his gun. My mother stiffens.