Chapter 6

"Now, come one, darling. I thought you'd be more excited to see your dear, old Dad." My father chuckles.

I stare at my father with wide eyes, my body frozen in terror while also trembling in apprehension. Our gazes meet, and for a moment, I hope to find some kind of hesitation, telling me that my father isn't actually going to hurt me. But I'm met with the same murderous gleam I'm sure all of his victims see. I continue to match gazes with my father until a blue-clad shoulder steps in front of me.

"And just what the hell are you doing here?" Kody questions through gritted teeth and a rigid figure.

I can't help but notice how she stands protectively over me and begins to reach into the hidden pocket of her dress. I glance at Kat as she steps slowly towards us, her posture insisting she's ready to fight at any given moment. This gives me enough courage to shake free of my frozen curse and bring myself to stand at attention.

"Answer me, Clown! How the hell are you here?!" Kody ask, earning a demonic smile and a gleam that insist she should already know his plans.

"Now, let's stay calm. I just came to talk." My father takes a step towards us, causing people to shrink further back and Kody to draw the gun hiding underneath her layers of midnight fabric. Shrieks fly as Joker pulls his own firearm, aiming for Kody's forehead.

"Kody, careful." I whisper towards her.

She brushes off the warning, keeping the gun firm in her hands and steady on her target. I notice how my father's men have taken a protective stance around him, each of them keeping their hands poised over their weapons. My heart flutters as I imagine the possible outcomes of tonight.

"Honestly, this is all overkill." My father laughs, his arm motioning to the terrified onlookers, and Kody with her weapon drawn. "All I want to do is see my beautiful baby girl. Catch up, maybe go for dinner."

I swallow hard, shaking my head rapidly despite the fact that my father can't see me.

"Not going to happen, you psychotic son of a bitch." Kody hisses.

"Oh, really? And just who are you to keep a father from his little girl?" Joker raises a mocking eyebrow.

Kody falls silent, not daring to talk anymore and indulge my father. He continues to gaze at her, his eyes repeating the question.

"Just as I thought. Alright, now, let's not make this harder than it needs to be." My father smiles, turning away from Kody, allowing her to relax slightly. "Hand over the girl, and then I'll be out of your hair. Pinky promise."

"Go to hell!" Kody spits.

Joker raises an eyebrow sarcastically. He turns to Kody with his sickeningly twisted grin more prominent than ever. "Darling, we're already here."

My body shakes harder at the words. I focus on breathing in and out, trying hard to control myself. I find it in myself to glance anxiously around, noticing how the hoard of my father's soldiers have scattered themselves around the room. I begin to silently pray that Jason or the boys will make an appearance.

"Lucy, sweetheart, don't keep Daddy waiting." My father sings.

I stand for a moment longer, every possible situation going through my head as I try to find a way for all of us to make it out of here in one piece. I find myself stepping out from behind Kody and making my way to the front of the stage. Kat makes an attempt to grab at me and keep me back towards safety, but I dodge her, giving her a knowing expression.

"Ah, there she is!" My father exclaims, adding a small skip to his step. "My angel! Look at you, aren't you just precious!"

I stand rigidly, glaring into my father's frame.