Chapter 13

Back to Lucy's POV

"Since we didn't get to do this the other night, we figured now would be a good time." Jason says as I hand each member of the family their gifts. The gifts that tell them that our worlds are about to get a little bit bigger.

"Hm, what's the occasion?" Aunt Selina sets down her mimosa, accepting her gift.

"No occasion. We just wanted to show you all how much we love you." I say, hugging Barbara as I hand her her box.

"That's code for you want something. Either that or you're moving out. Are you finally moving out?" Cassandra suddenly becomes excited, directing her jab towards her brother.

"You wish." Jason retorts, and I laugh as I wrap my arm around him. He returns the gesture, setting his hand securely on my stomach, a habit he's picked up over the last couple of days. "As you all know, I'm leaving for my first mission tomorrow. These are just gifts to thank you for your support and to hopefully encourage you to continue supporting us."

I feel my heart sink a bit as I'm reminded that Jason's first mission is tomorrow. He and the team are leaving tomorrow afternoon for Barbados, tracking a missing artifact that is crucial to the League of Assassins. Jason said that if the artifact made its way into anyone else's hands, the League's power would be jeopardized. Multiple countries would be plunged into war and very powerful and dangerous people would become tyrants. The mission came from Talia Al Ghul herself. Hundreds of assassins and various other rouges are perusing the artifact, making the mission relatively dangerous. While spending time with the League, Jason had made some prominent enemies within the assassin field, however he assured me they were no threat, and he would be home with me and the baby in no time. He might even make my twelve week scan.

I snap out of my thoughts as I hear the joyous sounds of my family as they begin to open their presents. I watch as they open their gifts agonizingly slow. I can feel my heartbeat in palms. 

Kat is the first to finally discover what's inside the box, and she instantly lets out a loud squeal, followed mere seconds later by a similar squeal from Barbara and a shout from Dick.

"You're kidding?" Kody turns to Jason and I with a wide smile.

"Oh, this is wonderful!" Aunt Selina laughs, clapping her hands in delight.

"Holy shit, no way!" Cassandra exclaims.

"We better start baby proofing now." Tim laughs, shaking his head.

Damian remains silent, but I notice the smirk spreading across his face. He's excited even if he won't admit it.

Dick and Kody are the first to reach us. Kody takes me in her arms instantly, hugging me tightly, then pulling away to look at my stomach as if she expects to be the size of a watermelon already. Then, they switch, and before I know it, I'm off the ground in Dick's arms being spun in circles. I laugh as he sets me down and hugs me tight. Barbara is the next one to offer her congratulations, hugging Jason and I, then setting a hand lightly on my stomach. She looks on in wonder. Then, comes Tim and Kat. Kat nearly throws herself into my arms, squeezing me tightly and babbling on how she can't wait to be an aunt. I laugh at her excitement. Tim embraces me afterwards, holding me gently as if he's afraid he'll hurt me or the baby if he hugs me too hard. Cassandra steps up next. She embraces Jason first, then moves to wrap her arms around me.

"Congratulations, you have successfully managed to domesticate him." She jokes as she pulls away. I laugh at the joke.

Once Cassandra moves on, Damian steps up. He hesitantly wraps Jason and I in a short, but sweet hug.