Chapter 18

I massage my temples lightly. The bright pink piece of paper begins to resemble the one right beside it despite the fact that Stephanie argues they are two different shades.

"Water?" A soft voice offers as a glass enters my line of vision.

"Thanks." I reply, taking the ice cold glass in my hands and taking a refreshing sip.

Dick slides onto the couch beside me, taking one of the color swatches delicately in his hands.

"Nursery planning?" He ask, flipping the blue swatch so that it stares at me.

"Gender reveal." I clarify. He lets out a grunt of understanding and goes back to looking through the swatches.

"What ideas do you have so far?" He ask.

I turn to Dick, surprised that he wishes to be involved in my planning. "I'm thinking I want everyone in attendance to wear either blue or pink based on what they believe the baby is. And I don't want anything too large, just our family and friends in the backyard. No cameras, no press, no citizens, just us."

"And Jason?" He questions.

I let out a sigh as I pick up the list of possible reveal ideas. There are plenty I could do on my own, but all of the ones that truly capture my attention require two people and would be cuter with Mom and Dad.

"I don't know. I'm trying to plan around him for now." I reply honestly. I was trying, but I was also failing.

"Anything I can help with?" Dick looks at me with eager eyes.

I giggle at his childish excitement. "Yes, actually. Which do you like better, powder pink or baby pink?"

Dick takes the swatches from my hands, inspecting them before his face molds in confusion. He lowers the papers, giving me a dead serious gaze before answering.

"They're the same color." He replies, his face now brightening with amusement. I giggle again.

"If Stephanie heard you say that." I warn jokingly.

Dick chuckles. "But in all seriousness, baby pink."

I thank Dick for his input and place the baby pink swatch in a new pile while letting the powder pink swatch drift to the ground. I take another sip of water and place my hand at the top of my growing bump. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Dick staring longingly at my stomach, watching as I run my hand up and down the length of the bulge.

"You can touch it if you'd like." I smile, bringing the glass of water back to my lips.

Dick quickly focuses on me, then back on my stomach and hesitantly brings his hand towards my stomach. He reaches out timidly as if he's afraid I'll break under his touch. I let out a breathy laugh, gripping his hand and setting it firmly on my bump. I control his wrist, forcing his hand to run in soothing circles. He looks on in fascination.

"It's amazing." He says awestruck.

"Your niece or nephew." I smile.

"Can I be honest for minute." Dick keeps his hand on my stomach, yet his eyes travel to meet mine. I nod for him to go on. "As happy as I am for you and Jason, I'm also jealous." He admits.

"Why?" I ask confused.

"Because, what if I never get this?" Dick ask. I know he doesn't mean to sound scared when he says that, but I can hear the earnest fear in his voice.

"Dick," I reply, reaching my hand out to offer him comfort, "You and Kody have only been married for three months. What's the rush?"

"Yes, we've only been married for three months, but we've been together for six years. We've talked about this before, and she's always given me the same answer. In the beginning, I was sure I could wear her down eventually, but now..." He mumbles distantly.