Ch.69 The Truth Can Wait

Out of literally no where, Nagi tackles me. We roll a few feet away from the two.

Once we stop, she was on top of me, squeezing me in a tight hug. I notice the bandages wrapped around her neck.

"EMIKO! I'm so glad you're okay!"

"...Nagi?"

"Yeah?"

It was one kick, but somehow...she went flying. Getting up, I walk back to my spot and sit.

"I'm sorry for that interruption." I apologize to the two.

"Well-"

"Emiko!"

I hold my hand above my head and catch Nagi's leg. She was planning on kicking me. I glare at her grin.

"Wow! The legendary White Soul Reaper really is strong."

"...What are you on about? And how are you even able to talk with an wound like that?"

"You! You're the living legend! And don't ever underestimate Unohana's healing abilities. She worked hard to let me be able to speak."

Well, she was wrong to do so.

"...I'm still lost."

"Let go of me and I will educate you."

"..."

I face Rukia.

"Can you explain it too me? Nagi sounding smart isn't normal... In any world."

"HEY!"

She pulls her leg away and sits on the other side of me.

"The legendary White Soul Reaper is the second most powerful being, after the Soul King of course, in all of the Soul Society. It is said their power is equivalent that of 100,000 captains combine. I would kill to have that power!"

"...That's not me."

"Yes, it is! Just look at yourself! You're in a white shihakusho! Also, the White Soul Reaper is randomly born every 3,000 years. The last one was-..."

Nagi stops when she realizes something. She looks from me to Byakuya before looking back at me.

"No... No way... You're... That can't be..."

"What is it?"

"...But, if it is..."

"Nagi, please. Just spit it out."

"...You...you were born in the Soul Society. That's the reason you couldn't find your-"

"Stop."

Nagi closes her mouth.

"Don't finish that sentence."

"But, Emiko-"

"Nagi. Listen, I can't be from here... That can't be true."

"Well, then how did you get that awesome power?"

"Simple. This whole place has been affecting me ever since we arrived here. I'm sure once I return home, I'll lose this power and be back to normal."

"...I know that even you don't believe that. If that was true, where are Orihime, Uryu, and Chad's soul reaper powers?"

"...Please. Just stop. If I'm really from here, then everything I ever knew is a lie. My whole life is a lie. I...can't handle something like that right now."

I look at my hands.

"I'm not human? I was never from the World of the Living... I refuse to believe that."

~~~~Nagi's P.O.V.~~~~

"..."

I don't say anything. What can I say to her? Emiko isn't ready to hear the truth yet.

I glance at Byakuya. He was watching her reaction to what I've said. From his eyes, I can tell he doesn't want to drop the heavy news on her. He's not going to tell her now.

"...Fine." I put my hands up in surrender. "I won't say anymore."

"..."

With a sadden expression, Emiko continued to look down.

I don't like seeing her like this, but she needs to know. It's up to her if she wishes to accept it or not.

"Emi... Listen-"

"Nagi."

I instantly freeze on the spot once I heard that commanding voice.

~~~~Emiko's P.O.V.~~~~

Searching for the voice, I spot the head captain standing a long distance away. He was facing us, looking at Nagi. Kazz stood at his side, with his arms folded. His head was off to the side, trying not to look Nagi's way.

...I have to thank him for catching me.

"Nagi?" I look at her.

She looked terrified.

"..."

Standing, I grab her hand and make her stand.

"Come on. It's time for you and your family to make up. You shouldn't be fighting."

"...Can you come with me? I know I sound like a total baby but, he's not...exactly the easiest person to talk with."

"Of course." I nod. "Besides, I have to thank your brother."

"...Okay. Thanks." she weakly smiles at me.

However, it disappears as her face grandfather again. Taking a deep breath, she begins walks over towards them. I begin to follow her when...

"Wait, Emiko."

I look back at Rukia.

That's right, her brother wanted to tell me something.

"Honestly, if you want my opinion, your brother should just try and rest to regain his strength. If what he has to say is very important to me, I'm sure there will be another chance for us to talk."

"..."

"You should rest too, Rukia. Today was very...eventful, after all."

She nods and I continue towards Nagi and her family. But, I stop again. Without looking back I address Rukia.

"Oh, and Rukia?"

"Yes?"

"...Kaien Shiba wishes for me to tell you he's fine. So stop blaming yourself for his death... He's happily resting in peace with his wife."

"..."

I didn't have to look her way. I knew what expression she was making. Instead, I head for Nagi.