Ch.50 Risking Lives

"That's...Byakuya Kuchiki, the captain of squad six." Hanataro worries.

"So...he's Byakuya Kuchiki, huh?" Ganju questions.

"You know him, Ganju?"

"Of course I do. He's the current head of the Kuchiki Clan, one of the great four noble clans. He's said to be the strongest head in the clan's entire history. He's the most famous captain in the thirteen court guard squads.

This is bad... Why did he appear at a time like this? Damn it! There's no chance of winning with just the two of us... Maybe, we should just beg him to spare our lives."

"What are you saying?! Let's just take Miss Rukia and Miss Emiko and runaway!"

"Idiot! Where could we run to? The bridge is the only way out! You want us to defeat him and run, throwing away our lives in the process? You want me to throw my life away for her?!"

Ganju points at Rukia while asking that.

"She killed my older brother! No one would give their life for her! Not this woman!"

"..."

"..."

No one said a thing. I stand on my feet, keeping my gaze ahead. Before I could say anything, Hanataro speaks.

"I understand. It cannot be helped. There was never any reason for you to rescue Miss Rukia, Ganju. And I definitely have no right to force you to do it. B-But...at least take the ladies with you when you run away."

What is he saying?

"I'll...stay and try to hold him here...!"

His words shocked all three of us.

"What are you talking about?" Ganju replies. "Don't you know what's going on?"

"I believe I know how you feel. I wouldn't give up my life to save someone I hate... I would do the same if I were in your shoes."

"That's not what I'm talking about! This guy's spiritual pressure is as strong, or even stronger, than that Zaraki guy! How could someone like you possibly-"

"I know that. However...I came here to rescue Miss Rukia. So I can't just run away without doing anything."

Facing Ganju, Hanataro bows.

"Thank you very much!"

Straightening up, he smiles at us.

"Good bye."

He turns and leaves.

No...he can't. I can't feel anything, so judging what Ganju said, he could...

"Stop, Hanataro!" Rukia shouts. "You'll-"

Ganju holds his arm out, stopping her.

"What are you doing?! We can't let him go!"

Ignoring her shouts, Ganju thinks to himself.

"..."

I run out of the cell, heading for Hanataro. I ignore Ganju's yelling as I do.

Once I reach him, I stood in front of him, causing Hanataro to stop in his tracks. We face each other as Byakuya drew near.

"Miss Emiko?"

"Please, go back."

"But-"

I push his shoulder a little too hard. He ends up falling on his butt.

"I'm sorry, but I owe you and Ganju for helping Ichigo out. So return to Ganju and Rukia right now."

"You're just a human. You'll most certainly-"

"I know...but it'll buy you time to escape, right?"

"..."

"Listen, my family abandoned me when I was little. I didn't have a place in the world...and I still don't. If I die now, no one would care."

"But Ichigo-"

"He'll get over it. I was just some brat they picked up form the streets, anyway. I was never really a part of his family. If I die now, nothing will change...and I'm okay with that. His life wouldn't be affected at all. It would simply go back to before they took me in. He'll be able to continue his life without me."

"..."

"Please. Get out of here with Rukia. I want all three of you to go now!"

"AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"

Startling the both of us, Ganju runs up to us, yelling. Without any warning, he grabs the two of us and throws us back towards Rukia.

 Without any warning, he grabs the two of us and throws us back towards Rukia

Hanataro breaks my fall, as Rukia checks on us.

"Ganju-"

"You're really bad at lying!" he cuts me off. "Saying your death means nothing, that life will go on unaffected by your absence. You're just saying that to make yourself feel better. The fact is...you don't want to die and leave your family behind."

"..."

Dammit... When did I become an open book?

Now standing face to face with Byakuya, Ganju grins at him.

"Come, head of the Kuchiki Clan, I'll be your opponent today!"