Ch.39 ...Leave Then

"...What?"

I couldn't hide my shock expression.

"You're staying here, okay?"

"...Why? I want to help save Rukia too. She's...she's my friend too."

"...I'm sorry, but I've been thinking about this for a week now. I can't have you following me to this place."

So that's why he didn't talk to me about the Soul Society.

"Why not? Everyone else is going."

"We didn't even know they were coming."

"But if they can go, then I should be able to-"

"They're able to defend themselves. Didn't you hear the cat? They all unlocked some kind of hidden powers."

"Okay, and?"

"You're the only one who has no power. What if something happens and you're fighting alone? You won't be able to survive."

"I won't be alone. I'll be by your side-"

"The kid is right."

I look down at Yoruichi.

"It's better if you stay in this world."

"But-"

"If you come you'll just be in the way."

"..."

I'll be...in the way?

"No, I won't-"

"How can he, or anyone, focus on saving Rukia if they're constantly saving you?"

"..."

"You're better off staying here then coming with us."

"If I stay here, then who's going to keep Ichigo safe-"

"How do you intend to keep him safe the way your are now? What are you going to do?"

"I...I can treat his-"

"What if you get caught up? What if you die somewhere? What then?"

"I...I-I..."

"Exactly. You're powerless to do anything. You're useless where we're going."

I freeze.

Useless? I'm not... I just want to keep my family safe. I...owe them.

"Hey now." Uryu interjects. "That's harsh-"

"It's the truth."

"..."

"...Listen."

I look up at Ichigo. With a smile on his face, he places his hand on my head.

"I know how you feel. I feel the same way. Why do you think I'm telling you this?"

"..."

"Please stay here. I don't want anything to happen to you."

Flashes of Renji and Byakuya attacking Ichigo came to mind. Will he really be okay?

"What, you don't believe in your big brother?"

"...I..."

"...Well, since you like promises, I'll give you one. I promise to return safely with Rukia and all our friends, got it?"

"...No..."

His smile disappears as I slap his hand away.

"E-Em- ...Emiko."

With rage in my eyes, I look up at him. He looked unsettled as he continued to watch me. I wouldn't blame him, this is the first time I really let my emotions swing.

"What about my training?! I worked just as hard as everyone here! I should be able to go too! It's not fair! Who cares if I don't have any fancy power! I want to help save Rukia! I want to keep you safe! I have to! I promised-"

"Shut up, already! I never asked you to make that stupid promise!"

Stupid...promise?

"..."

Ichigo never yelled at me like that before.

"...You're not going, and that's final."

Turning away, he walks up to Kisuke.

"Open the gate...and don't let her through."

"...Okay."

So Tessai and Kisuke open the gate.

Everyone, but me, runs towards it, passing through

Everyone, but me, runs towards it, passing through. However, Ichigo stops and looks back at me. I was still glaring at him with a few stray tears running down my face.

"I'm sorry."

"...Leave...I don't care if you make it back or not."

"..."

Looking hurt, he leaves. The moment he does, Kisuke and Tessai close the gate.

"..."

"Well, that was harsh, Ms. Kurosaki. Well, then again, my friend was harsher. I'll scold Yoruichi when they come back."

"..."

I simply turn and start walking. I was heading for the exit, wiping my tears away.

"Where do you think you're going?"

I stop and answer Kisuke without even looking back.

"I'm going home... What's the point of me being here anymore?" I answer, the tone of my voice now cold and emotionless.

"Didn't you hear Yoruichi?"

"Oh...I hear what he said..."

"Yup. That means it's time for your other training."

"...What?"

"Yoruichi said, "The way your are now". So, you know what that means. Though, Yoruichi could have said it much nicer."

I look back at him.

"It's time for you and I to train together."

"Train?"

"Yep, and it starts now."

Now?

"HAHAHAHA!!"

Dammit, move, Emiko!

I manage to jump out of the way, somehow dodging the blade that just cut the ground I was standing on. I fall on my butt as I stare.

My eyes follow the length of the blade, up to it's hilt. I notice a hand gripping the sword's handle. And the hand belong to...

"Wow, Emi. I must be rusty if you were able to dodge that."

Standing up straight, she rests the blade over her shoulders.

"You're... You're a...soul reaper?"

A large grin fills her face as she looks at me.

"Surprised?"

Nagi points the blade at me.

"Well, we don't have time for that. Get ready! Because my next attack will hit!"