Chapter Thirty

THIRTY

[UNEDITED]

Elaina woke up the next morning quite early around 6 am. She checked her phone before making a call to Nikolai and as usual, it doesn't take long for her husband to pick up. Walking to the bathroom with her phone on speaker she placed it on the counter while she washed her face.

"Love."

"I miss you," Elaina mumbled. After an uncomfortable sleep which had her tossing and turning reaching for her husband only to be met with a cold sheet on the other side, she was incredibly unhappy. "I didn't sleep much."

"I miss you too." He sighed, "Why didn't you sleep? Are you alright? In pain?"

"No." Elaina answered as she wiped her face with the soft cloth, "I just miss you." She said rubbing her stomach, "The babies seem to miss you too." She giggled.

"I'll come back on the next flight if you want." He said, Elaina, knowing her husband she knew he meant it, "Just say the words and I'll be right over."

"No, I'm fine, Niko." She said, "I just miss you. It feels weird not having you beside me."

"I miss you more than ever, tesoro. And tell my soccer champs that daddy will be home soon." He chuckled, "Have they been kicking all night?"

"No, luckily." She sighed, "They started when I woke up." As her children began to kick her stomach she smiled fondly taking a seat on the bed placing the pillows behind her and leaning back as she turned the tv on.

"What are having for breakfast today?" Nikolai asked as she placed her phone on speaker putting it on her stomach.

"Pancakes and fresh bread from the bakery." She answered.

"Make sure your brother or Ian go with you, love. I don't want you on your own." He said worriedly, "Wear the thicker jacket okay? It's going to be a bit cold."

"I will," She sighed softly, "You worry too much, Niko."

"That's because you're so clumsy, baby." He chuckled, "Maybe we should move into a place with no stairs."

"But I like the bachelor feel of this place," She teased laughing lightly as she heard him groan.

"We're going to move when I come back." He stated strongly. The couple spoke for a bit more before Nikolai had to leave for yet another meeting. Elaina strongly but sadly bid her husband a farewell telling him to call her when he had finished with his line of meetings. Nikolai hung up his phone sighing as he wanted to go home and wrap his arms around his wife and children. Never had he ever missed someone when he went on trips but as his father said, his world was slowly changing and Elaina plus his children were becoming his main reason to live on.

Elaina checked the time on the digital clock that sat on the nightstand beside her chuckling when she realized she'd been caught up in the marathon of 'FRIENDS' that time had passed quickly. Getting out of bed she turned the tv off, placed her hair in a neat bun, and waddled out of the room her hand securely grabbing onto the staircase railing as she descended down the quiet house. Usually every morning Nikolai would play an old song on the surround speaker system and just hold her as they moved about stating that they were dancing when in reality they were just swaying. Reaching the bottom she walked down the hall towards the slightly ajar door pushing it open quietly.

"Oh." Her eyebrows rose as she spotted Kade rolling off the bed onto the ground while his father and Eli had their limbs tangled together. Softly laughing she caught the attention of the young boy and ushered him over, he bounced over happily wiping his sleepy eyes.