Chapter Five

[ F I V E ]

It was two days of nonstop texting between Nikolai and Elaina, confidently Nikolai had asked Elaina out for dinner once he returned from his business trip in Chicago and without hesitating, she had accepted.

"Are you sure?" Came his text. Elaina was nervous about meeting him face to face in private much less over a dinner date.

"Yes." She confidently answered nibbling on her body lip.

"I will meet you there." He replied. Elaina soothed her clothes nervously, as she got into the cab. Nikolai had landed a few hours ago and was immediately rushed into a meeting texting her that he'll meet her at the restaurant after his meeting. Their meeting place was at the high end restaurant La Bella an Italian restaurant owned by one of Nikolai's closest friend.

The driver had announced their arrival and she stepped out of the cab carefully her eyes darting over nervously to the people inside the restaurant. After paying the man she walked up towards the steps leading into the restaurant nervously. She stood in line quietly waiting as the hostess attended to each guest guiding them towards their tables before heading back. Fidgeting in her spot she ran her hand down the side of her dress once more as she neared the hostess.

"How can I help you?" The hostess asked, "Do you have a reservation?"

"My reservation." A voice said stepping up behind her. Elaina turned around her nervous eyes meeting Nikolai's warm honey eyes. She gave him a soft nervous smile while he looked at the hostess.

"Y-Yes! Right away, Mr. Valesco." The young woman stuttered keeping her gaze on the ground.

Nikolai placed his hand on her back softly pushing her forward. Elaina relaxed and they walked behind the quiet hostess who let them towards the back. She felt his hand on her back and her nervousness faded having him near her.

"How have you been?" He asked.

"F-Fine, you?" She asked tilting her head getting his eyes.

"Now I am." He answered as the hostess stopped in front of their private table closed off to the rest of the patrons in the restaurants.

"A-A waiter will be here to take your order in a minute." She stated before rushing away.

Nikolai pulled a chair out for her letting her side down before he moved to the other side and took a seat.

"You look beautiful." He commented watching her face heat up flushing immediately. Elaina fanned her face hurriedly noticing the smirk on his handsome face.

"T-Thank you." She breathed as she straightened her posture in her seat, composing herself. "And you...you look handsome today."

"Today only? Are you saying I look unattractive every other day?" He teased the smirk still present on his face. Elaina stuttered helplessly trying to explain herself and Nikolai enjoyed watching her face flush and her nervous stutters made him chuckle.

"I'm kidding, beauty." He chuckled, Elaina sighed giving him a small glare. The atmosphere lightened and soon the waiter approached them placing their menus in front of them and asking for what drinks they'd like.

"How was Chicago?" She asked once the waiter took their order and headed off.

"Tiring. It was filled with meetings." He sighed brushing his hair back. "Cramped every meeting into two days." Elaina frowned. It seemed that his week had been nothing but meetings, from several in Chicago for the past two days and one as soon as he landed she knew he must be exhausted. Gazing at him she took a good look at him noticing the prominent dark circles under his eyes and his tired eyes. It also seemed he hadn't shaved in a several days.