Chapter Four

[ F O U R ]

Nikolai stood in his office facing out the large open window that gives him a clear view of New York City. The streets filled with people whether they are sitting, running, walking, and the many cars that drove down each unique street. He had loved the view of the busy city. After meeting his beauty a few weeks back he had a hard time concentrating on his work.

His every thought was filled with her. He longed to see her again but it seemed his luck had ran out as he was pulled into meetings day and night, never-ending.

Letting out a sigh he sat back down in his chair staring at his computer screen, the number of emails, documents staring back at him. Yet as hard as he had tried he could not concentrate his thoughts only filled with the beauty named "Elaina."

He could not forget her. From the day he met her at the gala her innocent eyes staring up at him, a blush covering her beautiful face, he had replayed that scene over and over again in his head. To the day he had met her again at the bakery it was then that he had realized how deep his affection for her ran, it was clear to him that he wanted her. He needed her.

It's been over three weeks since he had last seen her and he was feeling deprived, wanting to see her once more. He checked the time on his watch and stood up, it was 4:30 and and he knew she would be out of work very soon. Grabbing his suit jacket he pulled it on and turned his computer off placing his documents inside the safe before exiting his office bidding goodbye to his secretary as he took the private elevator down to the parking lot.

He sped down the block switching lanes ones it slowed wanting to hurrying along before he missed her.

Once he had turned the block he drove towards the bakery noticing the familiar person walking down the side walk. He pulled up rolling his window down and calling out her name.

"Oh Nikolai!" She squealed placing her hand over her chest when he honked the horn.

"Come I'll give you a ride." He said noticing the light drizzle.

"It's...okay." She mumbled shaking her head a small blush on her face. Nikolai opened his door getting out and rounding the car to the side walk.

"It's going to rain, beauty. Let me give you a ride, please." He said opening the door for her, she bit her lip lightly before nodding and entered the car. Nikolai closed the door behind her and rounded the car once more taking a seat on the driver side.

"Thank you." She mumbled out thankfully as she placed her seat belt on, he chuckled nodding his head. Pulling out from the side he joined the late afternoon traffic .

"How have you been beauty?" He asked, Elaina fanned her face as she blushed once more over the nickname.

"Good." She answered softly, "And you?"

"Good, thank you for asking." He chuckled. "How is the bakery?"

"It's been busy these days, since we close the whole month of December everyone is rushing to buy out Ms. Lucy's treats." She giggled.

"Maybe I should stop buy and get some treats for myself too before they run out." He stated.

"I can bring you some if you really want." She offered shyly.

"Are you sure?" He questioned, Elaina nodded.

"If you don't mind, then please." He said.

"I'll bring it over." She smiled noticing the familiar brick building in sight.

"I'll give you my number, you can contact me when you bring it over." He said as he pulled up in front of her apartment building. Elaina nodded pulling her phone out and handing it over to him letting him place his number inside while she took his phone and entered her number in his.

"Thank you for the ride." She said as she got out of the car. Nikolai watched her round the car, he rolled his window down giving her a wave as she rushed inside hurriedly escaping the heavy rain.

[o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o][o[o][o]

Upon entering his home he saw his mother and nephew Kaden seated on his couch watching "Finding Nemo". His nephew meant everything to him, the exact replica of his older brother who was currently serving overseas. They had fought hard for custody over the child taking him away from his drug addicted mother and her abusive boyfriend. Of course Ian could no watch Kaden all the time given that he was in the military and serving leaving their mother to care for the child.

"Welcome home, darling." His mother smiled as he neared the couch. He smiled leaning down and pecking her forehead.

"Hi mom." He said reaching over to pick up Kaden who giggled as he twirled him around.

"How'd you get in?" He asked his mother raising a brow. Amara Valesco raised his second set off keys he had thought he'd lost waving it in his face, he reached over shaking his head as he grabbed his keys with his free hand while the other steadied Kaden in his arms.

"Well we'll be on our way." His mother stood, "We've got a the babysitter coming over." Nikolai nodded handing back the now drowsy Kaden.

"You don't want to leave him with me?" He asked, Amara chuckled shaking her head.

"You my son, though a great uncle you're too busy." She laughed softly, "Don't over work okay? I've cooked some food on the stove." Nikolai chuckled nodding his head helping his mother set Kaden down in his stroller.

"Thank you." He said as he helped her out the door waving goodbye as she disappeared behind the elevator doors.

Closing the door behind him he took his suit jacket off placing it on the side of the couch and undid his tie as he walked up the stairs into his room, throwing his tie on the bed and undoing the buttons of his shirt. He discarded all his pieces of clothing as he walked into the the bathroom in need of a shower.

The cold water cascaded down his broad back, his muscles twitched under the cold water. He let out a sigh as he rinsed his body underneath the cold water. His thoughts drifted to the sweet beauty Elaina, how he wanted to wrap his arms around her when he saw her. He pictured her beautiful yet innocent eyes and sighed running his hand through his wet hair. Getting out of the shower he wrapped the first towel around his waist and the other to dry his wet hair. As he stepped into his room again he heard his phone go off alerting him that he had received a message.

'Goodnight' The message read.

'Already?" He replied back chuckling

It didn't take long for her to reply back, "It's 7."

"a bit early don't you think?" He replied back to her heading into his closet his phone in his hand.

"Just in case I forgot." She quickly replied back.

"I see." He replied grabbing a black shirt slipping it on along with a pair of grey sweat pants.

"Thank you for the roses." Reading the text he smiled typing back a quickly reply.

"I take it you liked them."

"Very much." She replied with a smiling emoji.

"I'm glad."

Nikolai waited for her reply and he chuckled realizing that she might have fallen asleep. After having his meal he took a seat on his couch placing his laptop on his lap as he go to answering his emails.

"Goodnight :)." Came the long awaited reply, he checked his phone chuckling.

"I will see you when I return from Chicago."

"Chicago? Okay, hope you have a safe trip." Smiling he turned his phone off and diverted his attention to the laptop once more. The smile not wavering on his face as he typed away.