Chapter Fourteen

[ F O U R T E E N ]

Nikolai stared at the computer screen blankly, it was almost 6 pm and he had no progress with the documents he was supposed to be working on. He had been on the edge ever since his family had invited him over for dinner at his parent's house to celebrate his brother coming home, on the same night he had promised to take Elaina out for a proper date. Sighing frustratedly he turned his computer and got up.

He reached for his phone calling Elaina who he was sure was home but when she didn't pick up after his fourth phone call he grew worried. Grabbing his things, he hauled out of the office slamming the door behind him and headed over to his private elevator. His brain conjured up all the negative possibilities of why Elaina wasn't answering his phone and he became even more nervous just thinking about it.

Speeding down the street he did not care if he got a ticket, he just needed to get to Elaina. Driving down the familiar block he did a sharp turn and entered the parking lot of the apartment building. Having been given a key for her apartment he grabbed it from his empty cupholder and headed up the elevator. He impatiently waited for the doors to split open and once they did he hurried out heading down to the last door sliding the key into the hole and twisting it.

"Baby." He called as he entered the apartment, shutting the door behind him and making sure to lock it before he went inside. He got rid of his shoes throwing it down and headed down towards the living room and when he didn't spot her he headed to the room.

"Elaina." He called as he opened the door. Once he spotted her body laying on the bed he let out a sigh of relief and walked overtaking his suit jacket off and dropping it on the nightstand table.

"Niko." She turned around rubbing her tired eyes, "Hi." She mumbled.

"Hi baby, you didn't answer my calls and I got worried." He said rubbing her back gently.

"Oh I'm sorry," she yawned, "It died on my way home and I fell asleep without charging it." She mumbled closing her eyes loving his soft touch on her back.

"I figured." He lied, the truth was he was scared out of his mind that something had happened to him. "Are you alright baby?" He asked placing noticing her red nose and flushed face as well as her heavy breathing.

"Mhm." She mumbled tiredly. Nikolai's face scrunched up as he realized how heated her body was, placing his hand on her forehead he let out a curse feeling how hot it was.

"You're burning up, beauty." He said.

"No don't go." She whined when he tried to pull away.

"I'm not going anywhere." He assured brushing her hair back, "I'm going to get you some medicine and water to take, you're very sick."

"Awh." She whined, chuckling he pulled back, "Hurry."

"I will." He walked out to the kitchen and opening the fridge to take out the NyQuil and grabbing her a cup of water.

"Here." He said as he sat down at the edge of the bed placing the cup and NyQuil to the side while he helped her to sit up.

"T-Thank you." She coughed covering her mouth. Nikolai's eyebrows furrowed and he looked at his sickly beauty. Her face pale, sweat forming on her forehead, and sunken eyes. He worried that if he left her she'd just get worst.

"Let me call my parents to cancel dinner." He said as he placed the cup back down on the nightstand table.

"W-Wait no." she shook her head grabbing onto his arm, "Go, you told me it was important." She smiled slightly sneezing.