Chapter Seven

[ S E V E N ]

After work she had rushed out of the bakery, heading straight home in a hurry. Once in her apartment, she had sent a quick text to Nikolai informing him that she would not be able to meet him. She tried not to worry herself but the possibility that she'd return to the beginning scared her.

Squeezing her hands tightly together she laid in her bed staring up at the blank ceiling. She silently sent a prayer to the sky praying that everything would be alright. Not wanting to put her father through another heartache she sent him a text telling him that she'd go by herself and of course being the doting, loving father he is he asked her if she was sure and insisted that he join her.

"I'll be fine, papa. I'm a big girl now."

Taking a deep breathe she willing herself not to think about it anymore and got out of bed heading into the kitchen to cook. Cooking had always been her way of coping. Focusing on creating a dish pushed the thought of the appointment to the side.

[o]

Elaina walked into the hospital a wavering smile on her face, her hands clasped together in front of her nervously. A female nurse greeted her as she made her way towards the front desk.

"Appointment?"

"Yes, 1 o'clock appointment with Doctor Reese." She said fiddling her fingers.

"Ms. Laracuena?" Elaina nodded. "Go down this hall turn left to follow the blue line and it'll be the third door on your right." Thanking her she clutched her satchel bag tightly to her and followed the nurse's instructions turning left down the hall and following the blue line.

"It's going to be alright." She muttered to herself, as she walked down the hall finding the third door and standing in front of it. The familiar name engraved into the gold plague staring back at her. She brought her hand up knocking twice on the door.

"Come in." The familiar voice called out, Elaina took a deep breath and entered the office slowly closing the door behind her.

"Hi, Dr. Reese."

"Elaina." Turning around in her chair the beautiful curly-haired doctor greeted her with a smile, "How are you?"

"I'm good. Just here to know what's going on." Dr. Reese nodded motioning for her to sit down. Once seat the doctor approached her pulling her chair along with her stopping right in front of her.

"The results returned." Dr. Reese stated, "Your cells are imbalanced, meaning you have more white blood cells than you do red. And in order to live a normal daily life you need your red blood cells, now it's not a dangerous situation, it is common amongst cancer patients. But because it does take time for the red blood cells to built up I have to suggest getting injections to help stimulate the production of more red blood cells."

"So there is nothing wrong with me besides my imbalanced blood cells?" Elaina asked cautiously, Dr. Reese nodded her head.

"Everything is perfectly fine, you're going to be as healthy as a bull, darlin'." The old New Orleans native smiled reaching over and pinching her cheek, "Stay healthy, little girl. I don't want to see you back in here unless it's to bring me flowers." Elaina laughed softly nodding her head. They both stood up, Elaina following her out of the office and down another hall towards a single hospital bed.

"I'll give you just this one injection and you come back by the end of the month and we'll run another test okay?" Dr. Reese said as she placed her gloves on, Elaina nodded rolling her sleeve up as the assisting nurse wiped down her arm readying it for Dr. Reese who now held a needle in her hand.

"How has your daddy been?"

"Busy." Elaina frowned.

"And those brothers of yours? I see Evan all over the news that boy." Dr. Reese sighed shaking her head as she placed the needle against her arm.

"He's better than before," Elaina stated with a slight chuckle, Dr. Reese shook her head laughing.

"That boy is not going to learn." She tsk'd pushing the needle pass her skin and injected the liquid into the system.

"And how is Ethan still running around attending meetings?" Elaina nodded.

"Yes ma'am. He's the workaholic."

"And how has my favorite Eli been?"

"I thought I was your favorite?" Elaina pouted as Dr. Reese placed the bandaid over her arm.

"Child you're my favorite but he's my favorite between your brothers." She laughed.

"He's currently working on a project for the city."

"If only I had girls I would've married one off to him." Elaina laughed shaking her head as she slid off the bed. "Now you be careful now." Elaina nodded giving her a tight hug. "Take care Sweetie."

"By Mrs. Monica." She waved as she took her leave. Monica Reese the woman had taken care of her since the day she started her chemo, always by her side keeping her company when her family had to leave for the day, and after years together Elaina had grown fond of the strong black female, always talking about her family, her home town. Dr. Monica Reese was an exceptional woman in Elaina's eyes, a hard worker, strong headed, intelligent female that always reminded Elaina to stand tall against all odds.

Leaving the hospital, Elaina took a much needed breath that she hadn't realized she needed. The stress from the previous day faded and she felt drowsy. Her only thoughts were to head home and rest