SIXTY: TRUST

Arden's POV

Rising from my chair, I pull my hand out from under the blanket, then lean over and kiss her belly. "Don't worry, son. I'm not letting your mommy go anywhere," I whisper to him. I don't know if that's a promise or a warning for Belle.

I wouldn't let her go. She'll be lucky if I don't chain her to me. I should feel shame at the thought, but I don't. Not even a little. The thought of something happening to her, broke me, and all that control, the effort it took not to smother her, is gone. Shattered into a thousand pieces, and there's no way it could ever be put back together again.

Next I take her chin in my hand, tilting her head towards me. She doesn't even stir. Her full lips part a little, and I can't stop myself from putting my lips to them just for a small taste. Her mouth parts fractionally, and I slip my tongue in, cooling some of the tension in my body.
When I pull back, I hear her mumble, "Love you," in that same voice she'd use after I'd come home from a long day of work and make love to her until she passed out. It makes my heart ache with need. I want to make her say it again. Over and over again.

I reluctantly pull myself away from her bed, stepping out of the room to make a call I'd been dreading. It's a reality I'm going to have to face, even more so with Belle not being able to remember anything.

I clear the thirty missed calls on my screen and go straight for her brother's number, Caleb, but stop when I hear someone clear their throat. I look up to see him leaning against the hallway wall. He straightens, but I put my hand up and walk towards him.

***

Belle's POV

Arden lifts me from the car, easily cradling me into his chest.

"I think I can walk. I was doing it a little at the hospital," I tease him. He hasn't been more than a reach away from me since I woke up in the hospital three days ago.

Almost like, if he takes his eyes off me, I might up and disappear. But I can only imagine how scared he must have been thinking he lost me and our new baby boy.

Happy to be here with this man who seems to think I've hung the moon, and our newest baby who he talks to just as much as he talks to me. I almost melt into a pile of goo every time he leans down to talk right to the baby.

"Rather not take my chances. Besides, I like carrying you." I wrap my arms around his neck, laying my head against him as he walks through the parking garage straight to the garage door.

"Back pocket," he tells me. I release one of my hands, reaching into his jeans and pulling out his wallet. "The silver card."
I flip it open and the first thing I see is a picture of me in a wedding dress.

"And where were you in this picture?" I ask, pulling out the silver card and sliding it into the door slot. The door immediately opens.

"Taking your picture in secret."

"Oh." I laugh so hard. My whole body shakes, and the scowl he had on his face moments ago fades into a smile, a dimple on his left cheek coming out. I lean up and kiss it, and I feel his whole body still.

"You always say, only you can make my dimple come out."

"I saw it and I just had to kiss it."

"You always did." The smile is gone, and a look I can't read crosses his face. I've caught it a few times now. In that moment I really hate that I can't remember. Would I know that look?

"Do," I correct. "I always do kiss it." Because I will. I want to make it come back now so I can do it again."

"Again." He nods to the key slot. I slide it in again