SIXTEEN

Belle's POV

We drove to a nearby BnB and begged the owner there to give us a room for the night; possessing desperation like never before. With such short notice, she was only able to offer us a double room and seeing as I was still relatively shaken up over the dramatic events, I grabbed what we were given with welcoming arms.

"This is quite sweet," commented Arden, dropping our bags on the perfectly stuffed bed.

"Yeah," I replied, thinking it was nowhere near as posh as the hotel but definitely comfy.

With floral bedding and beige walls, the room offered a sense of comfort. As much as I enjoyed the walk-in shower and power jets in the bath, what we had here was quite enough.

"You okay?" he askedme again for the nth time, locking his bright eyes onto mine.

I could barely bring myself to look at him.

"No, not really."

I felt responsible for the outcome, and knowing how much he wanted this made me feel all the more worse. I couldn't help but think I may have overreacted. Was Tad Hamilton simply a little too drunk and thought he'd try his luck? After all, he didn't actually make me do anything. Fuck this thought, that man tried to harassed me. It's entirely his fault. He should've known better. He should have respect women.

"You can stop that right now," insisted Arden, marching his way over to me. "Don't waste your tears on him, sweetheart," he begged, pulling my body close to his.

"They're not for him. I'm crying because I've ruined everything for you," I sobbed, burying my face in his chest. "I'm sorry."

Arden proceeded to seat us both down on the edge of the bed and upon doing so, attempted to wipe away the moisture from my eyes.

"You did no such thing. You did me a favour. At least now I know what he's like. Can you imagine if he stayed for the job a little longer and found out months down the line," he stated, holding on to each of my cheeks. "You're the most important person in my life, Belle. If anyone fucks with you, I fuck with them," he added, landing a swift kiss on my nose.

It was a little ticklish to the touch but exactly what I needed.

"Will you be honest with me?" I asked, prompting a subject change.

"About what?" he enquired, ever the sceptical.

He remained seated on the bed; both hands now situated in mine, the slight tremor he underwent certainly not going unnoticed.

"About me, us."

He seemed reluctant at first but eventually offered me a slow nod which did very little to appease me. I wanted to believe his fake confidence, but with his face currently twisting the way it was, I didn't.

"Do you have feelings for me?" I questioned, meeting his gaze head-on. "Beyond friendship."

"Yes."

His reply was instantaneous and I didn't dare question it, knowing it to be the God's honest truth.

"How long?"

I had my suspicions regarding this particular question, and if the ever stiffening of Arden's posture was anything to go by, I'd say he was suddenly unnerved.

"Belle..."

"Please, I just want the truth," I begged, dragging my thumbs against his wrists in a last-minute bid to offer him some encouragement.

I gently made my way alongside the strap of his new watch and marvelled against the feel of his fast beating pulse on my fingertips; the very speed in which it was going telling me more than I needed to know.