eight • lace

I hop on the bed next to Billie and she has an online clothing store pulled up.

"I've never actually bought anything online" I laugh glancing down at the screen.

"Then this will be fun" she smirks at me before focusing her attention to scrolling down the page. "Oh this is hot" she winks, pointing at a black lace lingerie set.

"Yeah on you" I laugh.

"No, I think on you" she lowers her voice.

Just then I swear the room heated up by 10 degrees as a breath hitched in my throat. I'm lucky the lights in this room are red.

"What about that one?" I point to a red lace set.

"Again, would look so much better on you" she whispers.

"What are you implying Eilish?" I joke leaning back and raising a brow.

"N-nothing" she stutters, "now what kinda clothes we lookin for?" She snaps out of it.

"Billie, I don't feel right about this" I sigh, laying flat on my back.

"Why?" She asks, voice laced with concern.

"I-I don't feel right about you buying me clothes. No one ever buys me clothes." I sigh, "I just always buy something when I save enough money for what I need" I explain.

"I'm sorry Spencer" she frowns.

"Don't be sorry, it's just my life" I shrug with a shy smile.

"Yeah but you deserve much more than life has given you" she mumbles.
I feel a soft warm hand grasp mine and lace their fingers between mine. My heart stops in an instant as I look down and see Billies hand in mine.

"Want to talk about what life has been like for you?" She whispers.

"Umm- well like I said since I was thirteen I've been moved around a lot. Sometimes because the foster parents thought I was too troubled and sometimes because..." I take a deep breath as I let a tear escape from my eye. "Because they were horrible to me. I've been abused in almost every form of the word." I stop and take a moment to wipe away the salty tears on my cheeks with my free hand.

"Spencer" she whispers, squeezing my hand a little.

"I-I'm sorry. I don't ever talk about this stuff" I whimper.

"Well you can talk to me about anything," she says softly, "come here" she opens up her arms and I fall into them letting sobs escape my mouth.
"It's okay, you're okay. You're safe here with me" she whispers in my ear as she softly grazes her fingertips up and down my back.

"This is stupid" I pull away, wiping the tears away. "I-I'm sorry" I stutter, standing up and walking to my room.
I close the door and curl up into a ball on my bed, processing what just happened.

She broke down my wall. I let her see emotion. I cried in front of her. I let her comfort me.
She's right, I am safe with her. The only place I've ever felt safe.

After what happened in my second home I don't let people touch me. All I do is hugs, and I have to know that they're coming. Hugs from behind, count me out.
I've never been able to open up about it or tell anyone, it's just not safe talking about it.

A few moments later I hear a soft knock on the door and don't respond.
"Spence, can I come in?" I hear Billies' calm voice.