forty • inch away

I'm abruptly woken up by two things. My phone ringing constantly and the feeling of someone's nose brushing against mine.

I exhale deeply and open my eyes seeing Vanessa an inch away from my face. I sit up quickly, immediately feeling dizzy.

"NESSA WHAT THE FUCK" I shout as I yank my bag from the floor.

"Well... you want the pictures gone or not?"

"Fuck you mean? Of course, I want them gone but I can't-I can't do this" I stutter out before grabbing my phone and rushing down to my car. I step in the car and feel a wave of dizziness but brush it off.

I check the time seeing that it's 11:15. Shit. I start my engine and connect my Bluetooth, calling back Billie.

"Baby are you okay?" She answered the phone.

"Yes. I'm sorry. I'll be there in like half an hour" I lie through my teeth as I speed down the road.

"Okay, be safe. I love you"

"Love you" I blurt out and hang up quickly.  The ride there is filled with silence and the smell of cigarettes that I smoke, one after the other after the other.

I can't believe I made it there without either crashing the car or getting a speeding ticket. I'm so fucking late. I know I can't lie to Billie anymore. But either way we are gonna be over.

I walk into the studio, fully clothed in Vanessa's threads. Shit. What was I supposed to do? Come in bloody clothes?

"Hey" I mumble as I walk into the large open space seeing Billie sitting on the couch scrolling through her phone.

"Hey. I uh- I cancelled the shoot" she says as she sets her phone down and looks up at me.

I look around the room realizing that there's no one else around.
"Billie" I sigh deeply.

I anxiously bite on my lip and run a hand through my hair, staring at the floor.

"What's going on?" She asks and I can tell she's almost as nervous as me.

"I uh" I clear my throat and swallow back my tears, fidgeting with the rings in my fingers. I start to feel slightly dizzy again so I take a few deep breaths before continuing.

"I used to do stupid shit" I start.
I see Billie stand up in my peripheral vision and her hands grasp both of mine.

"We've all done stupid shit," she says softly.

"Yeah but..." my lip starts to tremble and I let out a gasp, closing my eyes and wrapping my arms around Billie. I feel her arms instantly wrap around me and hold me tightly.

"Please" she mumbles, "please tell me what's going on" I hear her voice crack lightly.

"I'm being blackmailed" I cry out into her shoulder. Billie doesn't say anything but rubs my back softly to relax me.

Once my crying has subsided I release my arms and walk over to the couch, sitting down without a word. I pull out my phone and open the texts from Vanessa.

"The pictures are from a few years ago" I start, "I was in a really fucked up headspace" I admit while scrolling to the top of the conversation and handing Billie my phone.

She takes it out of my shaky hands and sits down next to me. I anxiously bite on my nail, not daring to look at her. A few long minutes go by and she finally speaks.

"Who is this?" She asks, anger in her tone of voice.

"Vanessa" I whisper.

"What happened between you two?"

"Umm, we were together for a little while. I was hella depressed and she was really fucking controlling but I didn't care because I felt wanted. She'd constantly take me to parties and I got sucked in. No one forced me to do anything, I did it on my own. One morning I woke up and she had sent that last picture to the entire school, claiming she was just 'showing me off'. The picture was everywhere and all a sudden, I was either too fat or being pinned against the locker while random people kissed me. I broke up with her and that's when...well, you know."

"Spencer, I know this is scary but I think we should bring this to the cops"

"What?" I blurt out with wide eyes.

"If I could I would handle it on my own, but knowing what this girl is capable of, I just don't know what else to do" she sighs.

"W-what if I get moved again?" I whisper, feeling my eyes well up with tears.

"Baby girl, I'm not going to let that happen." She says softly, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I'm sorry"

"There is not one reason you need to be sorry"

"Yes, there is" I mumble, staring down at my lap. "I went to Vanessa's house last night" I admit.

Silence fills the room as tears stream down my face. "N-nothing happened"

"O-okay then what did happen? Why did you go?"

"I don't know honestly. I was having an extreme panic attack and I-I didn't know where else to go"

"Why didn't you come to me?" She asked and I could see the hurt in her facial expression.

"Because I thought you'd be mad" I whisper, staring at my lap.

"Okay, what's her address?" Billie says sternly, quickly standing up, off the couch.

"No Billie you cant"

"Why not?"

"B-because shes going to make you do something"

"I'm not going to do something that I don't want to do." She huffs frustratedly before taking a deep breath and kneeling in front of me.

She lifts my chin to look at her and rests both her hands on my thighs, looking up at me.
"Spencer, you do not deserve this and yes I wish you would have come to me right away, I know that this is scary and your brain wasn't thinking right. I'm going to take care of this and protect you. I'm not mad about the pictures, I'm not mad about your past, I'm mad at Vanessa for blackmailing you and threatening to put out pictures of you that you don't want seen. Okay? I love you so much"

I take a moment, staring into her eyes as they search my soul. I nod my head and she kisses my forehead.

"How about you go back to my house and rest. I'll text you when I'm on my way back?"

"Mhm," I hum with a shy nod.